Menu

10th grade plan with Potter's School. Too many online hours? Please chime in.

Ds15 decided to homeschool with Potter's school online classes after going to an expensive small private school near our home because of the unpredictable teaching mode of the school in the fall. The school, as many schools in other states, switched to distance learning with some online features in late March after two weeks of extended spring break. He misses seeing his classmates, but knowing it will be NOT normal in the fall, doing homeschool is more stable and of better quality. 

He has done Potter's school online Spanish 1 and 2, English for 7th and 8th grade. So going back to Potter's school feels natural and easy for transition. He will take Potter's School Advanced Compostion 4/5, Precalculus, Spanish 3, and honors chemistry. If your dc have done some of these classes, can you please share your experience? Math and Spanish will be twice a week. So this means 6 90-minute live online classes a week. What do your guys think? I feel very sad that he lost the sense of community at the private school due to the virus. 

He will go back to our homeschool co-op for government class that meets twice a month. 

Thank you for reading and please share your D.C.'s Potter's School or other online class experience. 

Edited by JadeOrchidSong

My high schoolers have three outsourced classes and that is my limit at this point. They do foreign language, math and science. We are trying a 10 week writing class next fall and I'm not looking forward to adding another outsourced class, even a short-term one. Not only do we lose flexibility on schedule and due dates, we can't work ahead to redistribute work load. Also, our vacation weeks feel less vacation-y when there are still three outside classes to manage. We've never used Potter's, though, and all of our providers are different, so that surely results in less coordination.

• Like 1

My 15 year old DD has taken 4+ online classes each of her years in high school. This year, she had 2 classes with Wilson Hill that each had 2x per week 90-minute live classes. She also had 3 asynchronous, but not self-paced classes, and one asynchronous/self-paced course. In addition, she dances 3-5 hours daily. It was a heavy, but manageable workload *FOR HER*. The key is that you need to know thy child and not give them more than they can handle. My DD could not have handled any more live lectures and still gotten everything done. 

My DD has decided she dislikes most live classes, because they move too slowly for her. She often multi-tasks during her live classes (Alg 2 and Latin 2) by drilling flash cards for another subject, updating her planner, doing chem homework, etc. She’s just a very fast processor and doesn’t need as much time/repetition that most teachers include in their live lectures. Live classes can be very good for a student who needs the connection with a teacher or the social aspect of chatting in real time with other students. 

Having all his classes with one provider and having them all be live, online might give him the community he’s missing out on by leaving his private school. It will just require that he has very good executive function skills and a strong work ethic. Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1