Menu

Teaching fully in Spanish?

buylow12

My wife and I are doing opol, I speak only in Spanish with my kids, and my wife only speaks English, including with me. We are in the United States but since I will be doing the vast majority of home schooling I would like to teach only in Spanish. I feel like me teaching in English would be confusing plus the additional exposure to the Spanish will be very helpful. My wife is going to teach English and perhaps another subject each year also. 

Is there anyone else doing this? Any resources you can suggest? Any general advice? Any reason I should rethink this or structure it differently? 

Thanks. 

My state only has two laws that relate to homeschooling - keep attendance and teach mainly in English. I can not physically roll my eyes hard enough at either of those. But, do be sure to know what your applicable state laws are.

MEP is a great math program that is free for the printing and has, I think, up to 3rd grade available in Spanish. It seems like Math Mammoth (another good math program) has some in Spanish.

I can't see signatures on the phone so apologies if it is there, how old are your kids? There are a number of people here who have done a lot of teaching in Spanish that will hopefully chime in.

I'm in Florida, well that's my residence, we travel fulltime (where are you at?) and from what I understand I can teach whatever I want but I have to keep a portfolio of their work that must be kept for two years and can be examined at anytime with two weeks notice(might have been 10 days) and the children have to take any nationalized test, or be evaluated by a teacher, or be evaluated by a psychiatrist each year. Sounds like a bit of a pain as far as the yearly testing but I will certainly teach the test to them before they take it. I can't see it being a problem honestly. I have no doubt that they'll be above average. 

I just signed up today and don't have a signature(in on my phone too, lol), I'll have to add that. I have a 6 month old and and a two and a half year old, for now 😉 So I'm just trying to plan for the future at this point. Before I tend to do anything I read everything I can find about it. I would love to hear from some people that already have experience. 

I did manage to find that Mexico posts their textbooks for free on the internet, which seems like it could be very useful... but they are meant to be used in a classroom of course . That includes the teacher editions and I plan to read them also asap to see what I think of them as a base to build around. 

You might find this interesting.  I'm in the process of trying to learn Spanish.  

he goes into the differences between "learning a language and acquiring a language".   It sounds like what you want to do is an immersion type experience, which is more effective than actual "study" of a language.  Our school district has a program that goes through middle school where everything is done in Spanish.  The district is now starting one in Chinese.