Menu

Prepaid MasterCard for unemployment?

Night Elf

I was approved to receive unemployment. I expected either direct deposit or checks. Instead, I received a prepaid MasterCard with a lot of money on it. I thought it was too much but my manager said it could be that the $600 federal is on there as well. The strange thing is started March 22nd. On the card are 4 payments, none of which match my prepproved amount. They are larger amounts. My manager is going to call our accountant today to ask her if she undestands it.

Did anyone else receive a card? Is that how they do things now? I'm not thrilled with having a card with this much money on it. I had wanted to use some of it to pay bills, like my Visa and my dd's Visa.

• Like 1

When my dh first applied for unemployment, he said he was given the option of having his payment out on a card like you’re describing or direct deposited into our checking account. He chose the latter. Also, he receives his unemployment deposit weekly. Each week he has to go back in and apply again (although I don’t believe it is as extensive after the first application) and then a few days later we receive the direct deposit. 

I hope this helps a bit and you can figure yours out!!

ETA: my dh was laid off before the CARES Act was passed, so his first unemployment deposit did not include the additional $600. But each deposit since that time has included it. 

Edited by Just Kate