Menu

Middle Ages Curriculum/History Unboxed

My4arrows

I'm looking for history which begins with the Middle Ages for my 6th and 7th graders to work on next year.  Any suggestions of curriculum that can be fairly independent?

I was also looking at History Unboxed as an add on for this, but I'm not sure as it is pricey and since I can't see the content I wasn't sure if it was worth the price.  Anyone use this before?

My 7th grader is using The World's Story 2 by Angela O'Dell (Master Books) independently this year.  It's not secular.  The Teacher's Guide contains a schedule, several artist studies, several architecture studies, four reviews, activity pages for each chapter (in the sample under "Getting Started" is a 4 page breakdown of the activities), research aid worksheets, and answer keys.  There 7 craft ideas in the TG, which is fine for dd because she doesn't like them.  My dd said the book is engaging and colorful and I think the activities are thorough without taking up too much time.  I consider this like SOTW with the AG, but for middle schoolers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hopeallgoeswell said:

My 7th grader is using The World's Story 2 by Angela O'Dell (Master Books) independently this year.  It's not secular.  The Teacher's Guide contains a schedule, several artist studies, several architecture studies, four reviews, activity pages for each chapter (in the sample under "Getting Started" is a 4 page breakdown of the activities), research aid worksheets, and answer keys.  There 7 craft ideas in the TG, which is fine for dd because she doesn't like them.  My dd said the book is engaging and colorful and I think the activities are thorough without taking up too much time.  I consider this like SOTW with the AG, but for middle schoolers.

I have been thinking about this...but then when going through my storage room I remembered I have Mystery of History.   Now to decide!  But one reason I'm still thinking about World's Story is because of the artist studies and architecture studies.  Are these in depth or just a mention?  I couldn't see in the example how these are handled and if they are worth it or if I could find something to add to MOH to cover this...especially the architecture.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, Paradox5 said:

I was going to suggest History Odyssey as well. It is still one thing my oldest 2 boys say was one of their favorite resources we used. They loved making a pictoral timeline of the dates. We simply put the dates in order in our long hallway. At the end of the year, I made it into a book which we still have.

Another one you are going to see suggested is k12's Human Odyssey 1-3 series. This is textbook that you can have the boys read and outline on their own. I was never that organized.

I haven't heard of this and will tak a look!  Thanks!

For each architecture lesson, there are four black and white examples, a two paragraph explaination, and two questions. Not too in-depth, but a good jumping off point. The artist lessons are also black and white with a half page of explanation, half page of pictures, plenty of questions for analysis, and some ideas for art projects.  

I did MOH vol. 1. World's Story is similar...a bit more colorful and streamlined maybe. I liked the cumulative reviews and the buffet of assignments in MOH, but I like the balance of everything in World's Story.