Menu

Garden people: a garden question wwyd

Pen

I have baby plants still in pots in garden waiting to be planted .

They have straw bales on two sides and some plastic over top, but it is supposed to be -1 degree Centigrade tonight.

Should I leave them or bring them back in and put  them in bathtub for the night? They were starting hardening off process, but this would have been only second night out of doors.  It’s supposed to get even colder and maybe snow over weekend.

Nothing outside is super tender like basil. 

There’s borage, mint, bacopa, lobelia, and Bidens flowers/Herbs, leek and snow peas vegetables. 

I hate to have to carry it all in and out for several days, but also don’t want to lose them all.  

If they've been accustomed to indoor temperatures, I'd bring them in at night for a while longer, under those circumstances. Sorry-- I know it's a pain. They might do all right, but one night isn't much time for hardening off, and I just wouldn't want to risk leaving them out. Maybe move them into a garage?

• Thanks 1

TY. They are now all in.

Middle of living room for time being. No heat in garage. And I want to take a bath . 

Tomorrow I might set up plant lights or chick warmer lights for them until past upcoming predicted snow. 

Sounds like we live in a milder area, but I have a similar set-up to what you've described.  The past few winters, I plug in a strand of old Christmas lights (large bulbs).  Just one strand emits enough heat to keep everything alive and I feel like maybe (?) it doesn't pose as great a fire risk as heat lamps, so I'm not concerned about having it set up next to the house.  

The one thing to keep in mind is the bulbs *cannot* be the newer LED style, because those don't emit enough heat. 

Also, have you heard of a heat mat?  We use one under our seedlings and it both gets them germinating faster and keeps them warm enough (in a garage without heat).  

Happy Gardening!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, vonbon said:

Also, have you heard of a heat mat?  We use one under our seedlings and it both gets them germinating faster and keeps them warm enough (in a garage without heat).  

Happy Gardening!

Yeah.  I think I even have one somewhere now that you mention it!  That’s what I need — find my heatmat or even ... sigh ... get a new one. 

When I searched for seedling heat mats I found that Apparently there are also outdoor waterproof  heating cables.  I wonder if I could sleep with that going or would feel anxious if I got one.  It could allow planting out even with more snow and ice still to come as long as I can give plants crush protection. 

Edited by Pen

I've never seen the heating cables - cool idea.  I think you have a lot more snow / ice than we do if you've got to think about "crush protection"!  :laugh: ❄️

When we use the heating mats in the garage, we try to place the seedlings near the window for natural light and then hang a shop light over them so they don't get too leggy (searching for the light).