Menu

Ancient Rome Movies

Earthmerlin

Hi. I’m looking for ideas on a movie about Ancient Rome. My 10 yr old takes Latin classes & I’d like to supplement the cultural  aspect of her lessons with a movie that’s age-appropriate and informative yet entertaining. Any ideas? 

I don't know of a good fiction movie, but my 12 daughter and 8yo son are really into documentaries by the history channel.  We get them through our library.  Be warned - they can by fairly gory: not Saving Private Ryan gory, but lots of swordfighting, axes, and bodies laying around. 

I also showed them the old Ben Hur and Julius Caesar (with Liz Taylor). I don't consider those historically important, just interesting for cultural reasons. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 1:52 AM, DiannaKennedy said:

Do you have access to Curiosity Stream? Lots of Ancient Rome stuff there. 

I would preview it, before showing it to my children. Some are more appropriate than others. 

https://thekennedyadventures.com/learn-ancient-rome-documentaries/

I am not sure about Curiosity Stream—is it usually offered through the library? Anyhoo, I’ll try to figure it out. Thanks!

There's some videos on YouTube by Extra Credits History and Ted Ed.   I showed these to my son between 8-10.   All of these are animated.   I'll list them in chronological order.

(Note, you might want something about Romulus and Remus, but I don't have a specific suggestion)

Extra History - The Punic Wars (series)

Extra History - The Brothers Gracchi (How Republics Fall)

The Assassination of Julius Caesar

History Vs. Cleopatra (she's in Egypt, but it relates to Rome)

History vs. Augustus

If you want to add some "daily life in Rome" videos...

Four Sisters in Ancient Rome

Day in the Life of a Roman Teenage Boy

Day in the Life of a Roman Soldier

• Like 1