Menu

help...we are stuck...math

I have a 15 year old son (a young sophomore).  He was struggling with remembering some basic math concepts (not using, but just simply remembering them...oh he doesn't have any sort of learning disablity) and so last year when we attempted Algebra 1 using 2 different programs and we had to stop....it was just getting too confusing for him.   So then the program "Learn Math Fast" was suggested to me for him to go back and relearn  the basic concepts quickly.  I believe it really helped.   The program goes through Algebra 2....so he did the Algebra 1 book and started the Algebra 2 book and got bogged down on the word problems (which I think are sort of crucial to algebra 2, yes?) So, now I am wondering if he needs math that includes a teacher...not just a book. 

So, we have used Virtual Homeschool Group before with success (not with math, but other subjects) so I went there.  They use Saxon.  Which I hear is really good.  But, my understanding is that they include geometry in both of their algebra courses.  SO....I am trying to decide if he should maybe go back to the Algebra 1 class and do that (which I am pretty sure there will be review....but also new stuff) or if I should just put him in Algebra 2 and try to fill the gaps as we go along.  I found this lady too Nicole the Math Lady who has recorded classes and offers help.  So, I am considering that one too. 

If anybody has any suggestions, I am open to possible options.  I just need to figure out what to do for the next 2 1/2 months....until summer...and where to go in the fall.   

Thanks for your help.

We also had to repeat Algebra 1 using two different programs and I still didn't feel DS was solid on all the concepts. His ACT score in math proved I was right. He  is doing much better with math since he started with Mr D. self paced. The explanations are pretty good and Mr D talks through each problem while working them out on a whiteboard. I've found that using self-paced and allowing  DS to slow down and work through the problems at his own pace is better. He often says things like, "Wow, I understand this now!" There have been only a couple of times that I've had to explain concepts myself, but a quick watch of the video helps me remember how to do it myself and figure out what DS isn't getting.

I am sorry, I was confusing....he didn't COMPLETE algebra 1 using 2 programs....he started both of them....and only got a short distance in before we realized we needed to back track.  He has now completed Algebra 1 using the "Learn math fast" program.  Sorry for the confusion.  I am having him right now, take the Saxon Algebra 2 placement test just to see how it does. I will report back when I grade it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EKS said:

This is different from not understanding or truly not remembering.  I'd forge ahead.

true except when we hit the word problems in the algebra 2 book we were on...he totally had no clue how to take those numbers and use them....so do we still just plow through that section and move on...knowing full well, that he will most likely encounter that skill set again...and if he didn't understand it in the earlier problems, how will he understand it in the later?

59 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

true except when we hit the word problems in the algebra 2 book we were on...he totally had no clue how to take those numbers and use them....so do we still just plow through that section and move on...knowing full well, that he will most likely encounter that skill set again...and if he didn't understand it in the earlier problems, how will he understand it in the later?

No, you slow down as necessary and make sure he understands the concepts and is able to do the problems.  The point is that it is not always necessary to backtrack if the student doesn't remember something.  The great thing about homeschooling is that you can remind as necessary, backtrack as necessary (I mean targeted backtracking, not necessarily repeating a whole course), and slow down as necessary.  

Not understanding is different from forgetting.

• Like 2