Menu

anyone worked with European exams?

My dylexic 18 son who loves animation and film studies, but is the quiet computer type has to go on to the next level. He has been insisting that technical raining as a cameraman will work for him since it bypasses all the leaving cert exam thing.

I was so sure we could do this by just solidly following a good academic program that I messed up royally. Finally got a look at some old copies of the english exam and we havent read half of this modern stuff.

The science stuff seems very serious too and I was assured that Ireland was wayyy behind in science.

Well, now it is enroll him in a year of study for the test, skip the test and go to the training seminars for the unemployable, take the SAT and have him emigrate like siblings ( you see this one was going to stay in the same country )

I am starting to work on his portfolio. He is working on the Connecting the Thoughts unit study on animation which should make his work more integrated. :confused:

I don't know what I am asking. I just thought there might be someone else out there . :confused:

I'm working on IGCSEs (international versions of UK exams) - Calvin just took his first one. You can sometimes take those at British Council offices - I don't know if you have one in Dublin.

The science books for the IGCSE science are pretty straightforward, and I've heard good things about a maths one too. I can give you ISBNs if you are interested. However, for university entrance, you'd normally want A levels in addition to IGCSEs.

Would you be able to study for US-based exams for entry to Irish university, as you are using Apologia? How do Irish colleges view overseas qualifications?

Laura

Did you use the textbook that the national school uses to teach/study from or did you use it just to prepare for the exam?

I have heard that we can apply as foreign student and use the SAT for admission but I am not sure where.

I am trying to reach some of the home educators in Ireland that I haven't had much time for. My experience before was that the majority were unschooling through primary school and then placing them in schools. We didn't fit.

We have just used a text book to study and to prepare for exams.

I would contact the US embassy - they will know about where to sit the SAT, as the children of the embassy staff will need to take it.

It's worth looking at websites of various universities that interest you to see what qualifications they require for students - some will need SAT subject tests or APs, as well as the SAT.

Best wishes

Laura

I only look at the board infrequently, and so it was fun to see your post. I understand the "I"m not sure what my question is, but is there anyone out there that knows anything" feeling. I don't know that I have an answer, but I was educated through GCSE's in the UK, and my husband did the old O levels, stared A level's, hated it and dropped out. He did vocational training, and worked in that field for over 10 years. We came to the US when he was 30 and he went to college and did a degree in Math(s). He would have profited greatly from being in the US education system at 18. The UK did not have a good system for the average student, and particularly not for the late bloomer. I finished by GCSE's, took my SAT in England and came to community college in the states. I finished my degree at a prestigious college. My parents were in the UK and I was in college age 15-20 in the US.

So I guess I'd like to say to you that there are many ways to do school, and in many different places. For our family the US had a better system. I love to hear about other peoples experiences, especially since I am in the midst of educating a child that doesn't follow the system.

All the best.

We have just used a text book to study and to prepare for exams.

I would contact the US embassy - they will know about where to sit the SAT, as the children of the embassy staff will need to take it.

It's worth looking at websites of various universities that interest you to see what qualifications they require for students - some will need SAT subject tests or APs, as well as the SAT.

Best wishes

Laura

Laura, which IGCSE exam Calvin take? Is he doing these independently, or through his new school? I am trying to find out if we can take these tests early at our school in Ankara. Just wondering about your experience...

Anne/PA