Menu

Teaching Textbooks Advice

Homeschoolmommy44

My 4th grader is using teaching Textbooks she loves it and I feel she is breezing through it. Is this program enough to prepare a child for college? do you supplement with something else? are there any veterans who have graduated children from the program that can tell me if this program prepared them for SAT and college?

Edited by Homeschoolmommy44

Comparing it to other math programs we've tried (and I've tried many), it is definitely on the "lighter" side of things when it comes to math education. The word problems are all very surface, the math is fairly algorithmic, etc. I use it for my DD11 who struggles with math and needs enough math to get by, but can't handle deeper math. I would say whether it is "enough" depends on your math goals. It is enough to get into college and for the SATs, but if your child has STEM aspirations, they would probably be better served using a program that would provide a deeper foundation and more mathematical thinking. Not that they couldn't do STEM if they use TT, I just think it's not the best for preparing for those types of careers. That said, DD11 is my oldest child, so you can take my words with a grain of salt. But I wouldn't (and don't) use TT for my younger daughters who can handle much deeper and more challenging math.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:16 PM, Homeschoolmommy44 said:

My 4th grader is using teaching Textbooks she loves it and I feel she is breezing through it. Is this program enough to prepare a child for college? do you supplement with something else? are there any veterans who have graduated children from the program that can tell me if this program prepared them for SAT and college?

I am firmly in the camp of: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If "she loves it," this really is great news, and I would not change to a different provider. I wouldn't supplement either. TT has been enough to prepare many homeschoolers for college.

Because she is breezing through it, you can (but don't necessarily have to) let her move ahead until she is working a grade level ahead.