Menu

Talk to me about narrations...

StaceyinLA

If you're doing something like R&S, and want to add in narrations, where do you get them? Do you typically take it from specific literature, history books, or what? We haven't been doing this, but I'd like to implement it to get dgs writing more, and I think dgd would enjoy it. She is only in first grade, and not reading everything yet, but she LOVES to write stuff. So what would be fun to narrate for her, and then him as a third grader? He reads well, but his writing leaves a bit to be desired.

I'm confused. Do you mean reading something to them, and having them give you a written narration back of what they remember? Are they already doing oral narrations? My understanding is that young kids usually start by telling back orally from simpler stories (like Aesop or a picture book like Paddle to the Sea etc) and progress to written narrations around 3rd-4th. But I guess if you have kids who love to write, you can have them do it earlier. 

I think at that age oral and written narrations accomplish very different things. 

All my kids (Pre-K, 1st, 3rd and 5th graders) orally narrate a lot to me.  After most school readings I expect my 1st grader to narrate a paragraph.  My 3rd grader can typically retell a longer story in 2-3ish pretty well formed paragraphs.  I use oral narrations for my kids to practice finding main ideas, practice composition (using varied, interesting sentences; using topic, supporting and concluding sentences; organizing sentences logically), and check/discuss understanding.

Only my 3rd and 5th graders also produce written narrations.  If I ask my 3rd grader to write a paragraph-long narration it will be very low quality.  Instead, if I want him to produce good work, I limit him to 1-2 sentences.  My 5th grader is almost able to write a paragraph-long narration, but that is a stretch even for him.  I use written narrations for the boys to practice handwriting, grammar/punctuation, and the writing process (we consider their written narrations as rough drafts which are then revised and edited).

Wendy

• Like 3