Menu

LOE Essentials

silver

I'm looking for spelling for my upcoming 3rd grader. I'd like something that explicitly teaches spelling rules, but she really doesn't like AAS.

Looking at the samples of LOE Essentials, it looks like I could combine my 3rd grader with one of my older kids, each doing spelling lists at their own level. I like that it teaches morphology heavily in the level C lists. But then I see that even if you spread one lesson out over two weeks, they say it takes 30-40 minutes a day. That's a lot of time to spend on spelling for a student that can read fluently and doesn't have any learning disabilities. 

How long does Essentials take you each day (especially if you're using the updated multi-volume version)? Are the extras of morphemes/grammar as related to spelling worth the price tag? Is it really feasible to teach multiple students at different levels at the same time?

Since you aren't getting any replied I've used Logic of English Essentials.  It did take us the reccomended 30-40 minutes a day.  But I was using it with a student that was not reading fluently and did have disabilities. It's really a remedial program at heart and I wouldn't use it for typical students.

I think you could teach multiple students but probably not at the same time unless they were confident and independant.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. One student would be a 3rd grader, so not a great speller, but mostly needs practice with the rules. The other doesn't have any problems with reading, but does have severe spelling issues, testing over 2 years behind in spelling ability. I thought that maybe we could do the lessons together, but have them working in their separate spelling lists one-on-one with me.

4 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

You can do this if they have their books. Not a problem at all. It IS time-intensive, though. Most things worth learning are.

Yeah, I know that. The trouble is balancing the need to be taught in a time intensive way subjects with the subjects the students enjoy and want to spend time on with everything else one wants to do. My oldest sometimes wants to do all the things, and we just don't have time.