Menu

Can I skip Math Mammoth 7 and go straight to Algebra?

vwsmith

I switched math programs a couple of years ago to Math Mammoth. To be safe and make sure there were no gaps, I set my son up 2 levels behind. He has quickly gone through the levels and is about to finish 6B. Here is my issue...with our schedule I need him to start Algebra this coming fall so that he can fit in all of the high school math he needs to fit in. Can I skip Math Mammoth 7 and go directly into Algebra? Or can I pick and choose some concepts to go over in the summer from MM 7A/B  like a mini-course to get him set up for Algebra? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Edited by vwsmith

I would get the test book for grade 7 or one of the new supplemental review books for the summer, and make sure you aren't creating any gaps.  I think it's unlikely you can do without an entire year of math, but MM is also pretty repetitive year to year and includes a fair amount of review and baby stepping.  I bet you could skip half or more of it, assuming a strong foundation.

When I had a child that I was trying to fill holes with I had her "test out" of chapters by doing the final test (we just bought the test book).  If she got atleast 80% we went ahead to the next test.  If there was a specific sub-concept she didn't understand (all 20% she missed was one section) I taught it right there.  If she got under 80% I bought the dark blue book for that concept and we went over it.  This was a 4th grader who had to review grades 1-3 (adopted) so quite a bit younger, but it worked well.  She did all three grades in a year and then settled into a normal pace in 5th grade.  

She had a LOT of holes, severe aversion to math, and a learning disorder to boot so if she could do a year in 4 months you definitely can.

Edited by Coco_Clark