Menu

What can you suggest for 7th/8th science?

Meadowlark

I'm looking for something my boys can do together if possible, with the intention of going to public high school in 9th.  I wouldn't mind a neutral book as far as OE/NE goes, but definitely not YE as that does not align with our beliefs.

I'm also not really a math/science person myself so something that makes it easy for mom would be good. I'm open to online classes or really anything at this point, although finances are a bit of a concern. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, OKBud said:

Oh another thing I love is Novare. You'd be looking at Earth Science and Introduction to Physical Science in those grades. Earth is technically a little "younger," but you could do them in either order. 

I've been looking at Novare! Can you tell me more about the physical science? I think I'm just intimidated by it. MPOA has an online class but it's kind of pricey, and if I did it with both of the kids we're talking $1000.  What would a typical day look like? Are there experiments? Is it easy to teach? Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Op, I am looking for the same thing.  I am between novare and rod and staff.  Novare was just bought by CAP, which has me a little worried.  I'm using third grade r&s with my dd this year and it's really easy to implement with good built-in review.  They take a more humble approach to oe/ye than the non-denominational publishers.  I'll probably include something additional on deep time/geological layers and dating if we do R&S for my older next year. They don't require experiments, which I think is usually a pointless, expensive time-waster, but there are suggestions if you have a kid who needs them.  I felt like what I could tell from Novare was that the experiments were actually good, but still would require more parent time and direction than I expect to have  (baby due over summer.)

I'd love to hear from others about how much time Novare takes and whether skipping experiments would be a huge detriment to the program.  Also wondering if the daily lesson plans on the CD are detailed enough to give to the student.  I hate plans that I have to interpret and rewrite.

I recommend The Rainbow Science.  I am not a math/science person, either, and was very happy with this curriculum.  It is very engaging and to the point.  The first year is introductory physics and chemistry, and the second year is biology and earth science.  It is meant to be done 3 days a week.  After the student reads the chapter, you ask questions to make sure they grasp the concept.  There are weekly labs the kids should be able to do on their own, plus a lab book that includes reviews.  There's a quiz every four chapters, which can be downloaded from the website.  I felt this was a very good preparation for high school science.  Cathy Duffy and Exodus books have reviews on it.  https://www.beginningspublishing.com/

Edited by RubyPenn

31 minutes ago, OKBud said:

I don't know why I linked exodus books lol. I've never bought anything from them. Anyway, I got them years ago from CBD at the same price they are now.  Structured Questions is out of stock atm there though. https://www.christianbook.com/secondary-science-matters-textbook-volume-a/9789813164406/pd/164406?event=CPOF

Are there suggested answers in the back?  I'm not seeing a separate teacher book for the structured questions.

1 hour ago, Meadowlark said:

Okay, I think I've narrowed it down to either Novare's physical science OR Rainbow Science. I would love to hear from anyone who has used either!

Thanks for the helpful thread.  We decided on novare physical science without the labs.  GL deciding.  In reading reviews of rainbow science I came away with the impression that they claim to represent "both sides" but evolution is misrepresented so the straw man can be easily knocked own.  That would probably be the second year though.