Menu

2nd & 4th grade curriculum

Elizabeth86

I'm only half way through 1st and 3rd 😄, but I always like to know what I need to buy for the next year BEFORE tax season.  We always use our tax return to buy curriculum and I don't like to delay.  One year I didn't get to buy all the curriculum I wanted due to several financial things that came up.  I'm not making that mistake anymore.  Will you take a look at what I have lined up so far and tell me what I might be missing and answer the questions I have for each thing?  Thanks so much.

4th grade

Math - BJU 4, I might try reflex math for math facts 

FLL 4

Spelling Workout

Handwriting - I don't know.  He is doing ZB cursive this year.  I do not think that he will need ZB cursive again.  Would I just do some copywork or what?

Reading - We tried MP literature guides for 3rd and we liked them well enough, BUT they were quite time consuming.  I'm thinking of just letting him read, no writing or literature guides.  He's still young enough to get by with this, right?

Writing - I think we are going to give IEW a go this year.  I have no confidence with writing, so I think going through the teaching portion myself would be something that would really benefit me.

Science - Apologia Botany

History - VP Self-Paced History MA, R & R + the  Literature that goes with it

Geography - We have done several little passports world edition, so I was thinking this year we might do the one about the States or maybe Highlights which way usa

Bible- I would love to do VP self paced, BUT I worry that might be a bit too much VP self paced IDK

Latin - When we get through SSL 1 we will move on to SSL2.  We love it, but never have time for it.

Am I leaving anything out?  Do you think there is enough writing for a 4th grader overall.  I'm not sure how much writing will be done daily with IEW.  I'm sorry, this is my first kiddo, I just never feel like I know if I'm doing too much or not enough.

2nd grade

BJU Math 2

FLL 2 (We didn't do 1 with first, I'm confused if we start with 1 or 2.  I've heard both from different people. I'm leaning toward 2.  Also, am I going to want to get the audio companion?

Spelling Workout

WWE 1 

Reading - Just lots of reading, he's pretty solid on phonics.  I'm considering buying reading eggs for my preschooler, so I thought I might let him do this as well.

ZB Cursive Handwriting

Science, History, Geography, Bible and Latin will be the same as what the 4th grader is doing.

Thanks for helping me look over this.  Just let me know if I've missed anything.  

Edited by Elizabeth86

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I'm only half way through 1st and 3rd 😄, but I always like to know what I need to buy for the next year BEFORE tax season.  We always use our tax return to buy curriculum and I don't like to delay.  One year I didn't get to buy all the curriculum I wanted due to several financial things that came up.  I'm not making that mistake anymore.  Will you take a look at what I have lined up so far and tell me what I might be missing and answer the questions I have for each thing?  Thanks so much.

4th grade

Math - BJU 4, I might try reflex math for math facts 
If he does all of the work in the BJUP math, you won't need to supplement.

FLL 4

Spelling Workout

Handwriting - I don't know.  He is doing ZB cursive this year.  I do not think that he will need ZB cursive again.  Would I just do some copywork or what?
If he does all of his written schoolwork in cursive, including his IEW assignments, that should be enough.

Reading - We tried MP literature guides for 3rd and we liked them well enough, BUT they were quite time consuming.  I'm thinking of just letting him read, no writing or literature guides.  He's still young enough to get by with this, right?
Yes.

Writing - I think we are going to give IEW a go this year.  I have no confidence with writing, so I think going through the teaching portion myself would be something that would really benefit me.

Science - Apologia Botany

History - VP Self-Paced History MA, R & R + the  Literature that goes with it
Then for sure you don't need to do anything extra for reading.

Geography - We have done several little passports world edition, so I was thinking this year we might do the one about the States or maybe Highlights which way usa
But you're already doing history. Does that not include geography? Would you have actual time in your life to do both?

Bible- I would love to do VP self paced, BUT I worry that might be a bit too much VP self paced IDK
You're starting to overload here. 🙂

Latin - When we get through SSL 1 we will move on to SSL2.  We love it, but never have time for it.

Am I leaving anything out?  Do you think there is enough writing for a 4th grader overall.  I'm not sure how much writing will be done daily with IEW.  I'm sorry, this is my first kiddo, I just never feel like I know if I'm doing too much or not enough.

2nd grade

BJU Math 2

FLL 2 (We didn't do 1 with first, I'm confused if we start with 1 or 2.  I've heard both from different people. I'm leaning toward 2.  Also, am I going to want to get the audio companion?
Spelling Workout
WWE 1 

Maybe it's just because I'm much more relaxed than many WTM peeps, but this seems like a lot for a little 7yo person, especially considering what you're doing with other subjects *and* your older dc.

Reading - Just lots of reading, he's pretty solid on phonics.  I'm considering buying reading eggs for my preschooler, so I thought I might let him do this as well.

ZB Cursive Handwriting

Science, History, Geography, Bible and Latin will be the same as what the 4th grader is doing.

Thanks for helping me look over this.  Just let me know if I've missed anything.  

Edited by Ellie
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ellie said:

You are asking good questions here.

I'm thinking of supplementing bju math because worksheets of math facts and flashcards are a bit dull.

The geography is 100% fun.  Not overload at all.  We read books, do the project kit, make a dinner for that country, watch some shows.  

Where do you think I'm overdoing it with my 7 year old?  This year he has tagged along with science, geography, Latin, and history, but he hasn't been required to.  He pops in and out as he pleases and I think I will keep it the same for 2nd. 

6 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

VP History and Bible were way too much for us. We dropped the history and do the Bible together. I hold the laptop and the kids sit with me, I pass it off to them and they alternate for the games. I don't know if your set up would work that way, but I bet even your little one would learn the song etc. I think the Bible is more well done than the history- probably because it's newer and slicker, but I am learning so much from it myself, and I like that it's month to month on VeritasBible.com, so if I want to do something else for Advent or whatever, I am not running out the deadline on a single year sub. 

Ah, thanks. I had a feeling both would be too much.  I think I would prefer bible too, BUT I will never get to history otherwise.  What do you do for history?

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I'm thinking of supplementing bju math because worksheets of math facts and flashcards are a bit dull.
But how much time will the worksheets and flashcards require as opposed to doing the BJUP math lesson *and* the other?

The geography is 100% fun.  Not overload at all.  We read books, do the project kit, make a dinner for that country, watch some shows.
I was thinking it was overload because you're already doing all the work with the history. There are only so many minutes in your day. 🙂 Personally, I'd pick one or the other, and I'd probably pick the geography.

Where do you think I'm overdoing it with my 7 year old?  This year he has tagged along with science, geography, Latin, and history, but he hasn't been required to.  He pops in and out as he pleases and I think I will keep it the same for 2nd. 
The three things that I highlighted and then commented about: FLL *and* Spelling Workout *and* WWE. Also, both FLL and WWE are parent-directed, yes? How much time do you have during the day to direct all the things you think you want to do? Because as far as I can tell, most of the materials you've chosen are very parent-directed, aren't they?

38 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Well, I thought reflex math would free me up from doing flashcards.

I am not doing any work with history, the kids do it on their own except some of the literature.

I'm not sure how FLL and WWE will work out.  I haven't done that for 2nd grade before.  

I don't have a lot of time, I have 2 little ones as well.