Menu

Favorite non fiction read alouds for 3/4th grade?

madteaparty

I’m pretty sure I asked this before, but I’m cleaning shelves after being reunited with my books and can’t recall at all what I read with DS when. Or if we even read a lot of the nonfiction 😬 she likes this stuff more than her brother ever did. 

so I have here “Where in the world” I  plan to read with her but need to add some science to the mix.  The Way Things Work seems a bit hard for now. Exploring the Way  life works seems like it could work bc enough big pictures on the page...what are your favorites? I’ve thought of getting a fun kid encyclopedia (the Usborne ones come to mind) and reading an entry a day. I saw books like that in France but we are not there yet with French. 

I do know about the Scientists in the field and  I also have the full set of Horrible Science books—I just don’t love reading these out loud, DH read the electricity one to her and it sounded like pain to me🤷‍♀️
What have you loved?

Biographies of famous people went over pretty well here for nonfiction. A few I remember we really enjoyed: Brendan the Navigator (Fritz), Freedom Train: Story of Harriet Tubman (Sterling)

DSs also enjoyed ZooBook magazines (each magazine on a different animal) and nonfiction books from the library on various history and science topics. I don't mean things like Science Encyclopedias, and, The Way Things Work, but things like Science of the Past series (Ancient Egypt, India, China, etc.), or books all about a specific topic, like dinosaurs, the Mars rover, volcanoes, etc.

Sometimes it was just stumbling over a weird topic that made the nonfiction especially interesting, like Oh Rats (Marrin). Or:  The Man-Eating Tigers of Sundarbans (Montgomery) -- you can tell that was a hit, because I still remember it years and years later, lol.

• Thanks 1