Menu

s/o privacy and computers

mom2scouts

I wonder how much of this is a generational issue, that those of us who lived before all the tech see only problems with it and downplay the possible benefits, while younger people who have grown up with the tech see only benefits and downplay the concerns? My dh didn't use a smart phone until he couldn't get a replacement for his flip phone. He won't use mobile data or any apps except Spotify (from Amazon. He won't get a gmail account) and doesn't have his location turned on for many of the reasons mentioned in the article. (I think, though, that he's still tracked. Amazon likely isn't willing to give up the data from tracking those people who use the apps from Amazon.) Yet my kids don't seem to be concerned about tracking, though we'll talk about it later. I'll be curious to see what they think about this article.

I lived before all this tech and I can see both the benefits and problems. I have mixed feelings about the tracking. In some ways it makes our lives easier. I like getting an alert when a tornado is spotted nearby. I like using GPS instead of getting lost all the time like I used to do. I like the idea that my phone could track me if I were lost or kidnapped or something bad happened to me. I like getting targeted marketing with coupons.  OTOH, I don't like that my attendance at a protest or church or political rally or other event could be tracked and used against me. I wouldn't want my employer to be able to see that I'm meeting with the competition for an interview. I might not want my medical issues to become known. I don't like the potential to put undercover police or military or whistle blowers at risk. My kid who works with computer security seems more concerned about tracking than my kids who just use computers for personal use. It may be a case of knowing too much.