Menu

Computer Literacy

Check out Udemy if you're OK with a recorded course. I bought a couple courses on Udemy for pretty cheap -- a Microsoft Excel beginner to advanced course and a Microsoft Office Intro course -- both for my kids. Udemy has a wide variety of courses available, and this time of year there are usually a lot of sales on their offerings. I got a course for $9.99 in the past year there.

• Thanks 1

what kind of computer literacy are you thinking about? practical word processing and spreadsheet use, or how the internet works, or basics of managing backups and hole-level IT, or the 10k-foot view of how this stuff works?  what's the goal?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AEC said:

what kind of computer literacy are you thinking about? practical word processing and spreadsheet use, or how the internet works, or basics of managing backups and hole-level IT, or the 10k-foot view of how this stuff works?  what's the goal?

I'd like her to be able to understand enough about the actual computer to make informed purchases, use google docs and google sheets,  set up a modem and router, and troubleshoot common issues.  

That’s a good, and very practical, set of goals. I think this sort of thing  is often best learned in a practical way.  I’d suggest a few it-computer projects be defined and you ask for a write up in google docs and a cost breakdown in an excel doc.

youtube is an excellent resource for information if you have a specific question you’re trying to solve as are topic specific help forums. Example projects might be:

setup an automatic backup system for the computer(s) you currently have.  Macs and windows both have such systems, but you have to enable them, pick the storage location, etc.  show that you know how to restore a deleted file.

Assuming you have a wifi in your home, evaluate how secure it is. Bonus - setup a vpn.

check your internet providers webpage - is this the best deal in your area?  How much more do they charge for a better connection, how much better is it and why would that mater?

get or borrow a web cam (super cheap one will do) and set it up.

• Like 1