Menu

Gattegno Math

lulalu

Anyone using just this?

DS is 7 and in 2nd. We have mostly used Miquon since k. Done a little MEP and Singapore too. In Kindy I bought Gattegno book 1 and did a lot, but stopped for 1st thinking Singapore would be a better fit. Just pulled Gattegno back out and I think this with Miquon is what I need. It makes math a discussion and a discovery together. 

What is a good sequence plan for Gattegno? It is so different I just don't know how to pace books. 

Anyone use all the way through book 7? Where did that leave you? Was it a good plan for elementary math? 

Just wondering if anyone else has used it as it never really gets talked about. 

We are starting book 4 tomorrow, after going through the first two.  I'm using book 1 with Miquon for 3 of the kids I tutor who are slightly older learners.  They're going through Miquon for practice work, but I do 10 minutes oral/block work from book 1 to introduce concepts and continue working at different levels so the Miquon is just 'gravy' work.

In our home, we do 20-40 minutes of Gattegno with a chapter of Life Of Fred after.  When you start getting into book 2 you'll notice that concepts aren't touched back on as often so having something small like Fred or even Right Start games helps balance it out and review.  In those 20-40 minutes we may get through a single exercise OR 4-5.  I just let it go organically almost and introduce as ds picks up the work.  Some days, like today, he understands it well (cuboids and volume) but the block play is so much fun that we only did 2 of the exercises, and the first one was introducing the work with the second continuing the exact same but with other blocks.

Book 7 will certainly take you much higher than elementary math.  I would consider elementary math done at the end of book 4 (fractions and decimals), with 5, 6, 7 covering through 9th, or beginning algebra.  I haven't seen graphing, but I won't say I've looked entirely through book 7, either.

Some things do make the books easier.  I buy centimeter graph paper books on Amazon.  They're not only just right for the blocks, but they have big enough squares for small hands to make numbers correctly and keep in line.  I often will write out a set of problems in pen and have him fill them in for the written exercises.
I created my own deck of cards using business card sized index cards and a multiplication chart based on ones I found online.  There's a website based out of the UK that sells these sort of supplementary things but I didn't want to pay the shipping. LOL  I also made square numbers out of foam sheets.  DS was having issues keeping the blocks from moving with all the square work in book 2.  The foam sheets worked better, and I store them in a photo case.

I can say without a doubt that the program would not have worked well for ds when he was 5 or 6, but we waited until he was 8 and interested in using blocks.  I showed him the videos of Mr. Gattegno on Youtube while I was watching them and he was fascinated.  Book 1 took us only a few months, but book 2 has been nice steady work since about March/April of last year.

• Like 1