Menu

Have you seen HGTVs Rock the Block show? (Today’s frivolous post.)

Ginevra

I guess it’s a pilot because it’s a four-week show. I have so many thoughts on this show, lol! If you’re not familiar, it’s a weekly competition between four HGTV female designers: Mena (from Good Bones), Jasmine (from Hidden Potential), Leanne (from Restored by the Fords) and Allison (the Chicago lady, don’t remember the show name.) Each week, they have to completely reno and design the designated part of a house; all four houses started out identical on the same block. Each week, someone wins that day’s challenge, and, at the end, one will win the overall. 

I have been enjoying it for the most part. I think two of the ladies have more advanced skills and two are underdogs. What annoys me some is that three weeks in, three have each won that week’s challenge, so I think it seems quite likely that for the fourth and final week, the remaining designer who hasn’t won a week yet is certainly bound to win. How else could they possibly do it? If any designer wins two weeks, while one wins no week, it will no longer be any question which designer must surely win the overall. I also think the lady who won last week’s segment (Jasmine) did not have the best design. 

I’m rooting for Leanne Ford to win the overall. Her designs take my breath away and I like her demeanor way more than Allison, who I think is the other pro. I do not think either Jasmine or Mena can win the overall. One of the criteria is who increased the selling value by the most and the two other ladies are crushing it on that. Jasmine and Mena both have shows about finding surprising charm in a very basic house, so I don’t think their houses can top the other two ladies. 

What do you think? 

1 minute ago, PrincessMommy said:

I saw the first one.  I was only familiar with them via the Very Brady Renovation.

I thought it was weird.  I didn't like the upmarketing of stuff.  I mean, who needs at $7000 toilet!!??!!  Just to win a "competition"

Yes, I thought that toilet was madness. I think Allison is the one most likely to think she’ll just throw a heap of money at it and hope that works. I think there is a tipping point beyond which a particular toilet (or whatever) does not bring more value. Like, a $500 toilet might be five times better than the basic bob the builder standard toilet, but the $7,000 toilet is not seventy times better than the basic toilet. 

I also thought that shoe carousel in the master closet was nuts. 

P.S., I thought the Very Brady Renovation was weird. I mean, it was mildly enjoyable to revisit the Brady home, but the lengths they went to in order to replicate certain things...I couldn’t see the point. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

P.S., I thought the Very Brady Renovation was weird. I mean, it was mildly enjoyable to revisit the Brady home, but the lengths they went to in order to replicate certain things...I couldn’t see the point. 

I agree.  I enjoyed revisiting but I thought it went on too long and the house changes were crazy stupid.  The things people do for a stunt.  And, that is how I felt about the other show.  It felt like a stunt.  Maybe renovation shows have jumped the shark?  

• Like 1