Menu

Did I just ruin all of these plums?

Moonhawk

So, this is my first year canning. I had a bunch of plums that needed to be done, canned whole. I read a bunch of recipes and chose the one that seemed the most average, since the recipes did not seem to vary much. Canned with 25 minutes in boiling water. 

A few days later I did peaches. But this time when I was reading about canning peaches, one site talked about adjusting for your elevation. So, I adjusted the final peach recipe for altitude (I'm between 5100-5500 ft) by adding 10 minutes.

But now, I'm looking at all these plums and thinking they weren't adjusted for altitude, because I didn't know about it. Are these safe? Can I eat them all within another week and be okay? A day? Or just toss? I'm super sad about it but don't want to poison anyone.

I have never canned at high elevation and haven’t done any canning for a few years fwiw. So my 2 cents......

If the lids are not popping you are fine.  My mom would tell you to stick any that you are concerned about in a water bath (9 x13 Pyrex was her method) in the oven set low for a couple of hours.......you will here popping sounds as they seal.

• Like 2

Everything sealed, I heard pops, and can lift the cans by the lid. The plums were raw packed, not heated before canning. I did can with sugar, yes. 

Main concern is botulism but hoping plums are high acidity for that to be an issue. Called my cooperative extension office but they are closed until Monday. Guess we'll wait and see.