Menu

Co op classes for literature

MRA

Yes, I've been teaching lit. for co-op classes for a number of years now -- BUT... for middle school and high school ages.

The key (for me) to structuring a co-op class is to first look at how long each class is (45 minutes? 60 minutes? 90 minutes?) and also how long your "semester" is -- how many classes do you need to plan for over that semester (8? 10? 12? 14? 16?). Then you can decide how many books is a good fit for that time frame, and how many class meetings to spend on each book. You'll also want to plan your overall class approach -- it this more about getting kids reading good books and informally talking about books? Will the focus be on fun extension activities to springboard from their reading of the book at home? Following a "theme" through the books? Reading books all in the same genre, and seeing how that genre works? Beginning formal introduction to literary devices and how they are working? Beginning formal discussion of books as literature? Or... something else?

If wanting it to be more like a book club, you could do online searches for each book title for "book club activities for _______", or "discussion questions for ______". 

If wanting it more of an activity-based class, you might look at the Lit Wit kits and guides.

Or, if wanting to do it as more formal beginning literature study, you might check out some of these guides:
- Blackbird and Co. (secular) -- (gr. 3-5 books) or (gr. 5-8 books)
- Bravewriter: Arrow Literature AND Writing Mechanics, for single titles (gr. 3-6)
Glencoe Literature Library  (free) (secular) -- middle school and high school books; a few upper elementary books
Garlic Press Discovering Literature guides (gr. 5-8) (secular)  -- also at Amazon and Rainbow Resource -- the "challenger" level guides are high school level
- Kolbe Elementary Literature Teacher Manual (gr. 4-6) -- vocabulary and chapter study questions for 29 books

BEST of luck in planning your co-op class! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

For a weekly literature class, I like using guides from the Novel-Ties.  I am finishing up with the Detectives in Togas book.  I like it.  It has comprehension questions, discussion questions, and literary elements.  along with other stuff i don't use.

we are on a time constraint, so i believe we spent 3 or 4 classes on it?  I divided the book up to about 70 pages each week.