Menu

Opinions on Landry Academy Life Prep Biology

I have a 9th grader who just started homeschooling.  Does anyone have any experience or opinions to offer about the Life Prep Biology class taught online by Greg Landry?  I am specifically talking about the class itself and not the money issues that some families experienced with him in the past.  I am now doubting my decision 😟 I appreciate your time and advice! 

Debbie  

• Like 1

To me it’s not about money it’s whether he is a conscientious business person with a good business plan. In high school it’s pretty ugly when your kid is left high and dry halfway through the school year. so personally I would never take any classes associated with them again. My son was left high and dry halfway through and we had to scramble to fins another teacher with the same book and schedule, as well as hire a tutor so that my sons high school transcript would not show a lapse. 

• Like 1

That is just terrible!  I wish I had known before I paid for the class.  We just pulled our son out of PS and .  I had to make a decision fast as the class had already been in session for 3 weeks.  It does not make me feel good supporting someone who did not make things right for families like yours :(.  What did you end up using?  I see that your son is at Penn State studying computer science?  My son wants to study computer science in college as well.  I'd love any advice you may have for me!  I am praying that I am equipped to do this for him!  Looks like I may have already made a mistake.  So far, he is not even a "fan" of the class so that is also disappointing.  He said he was hoping for something that would excite him more and be less like public school classes.  Thank you for responding!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Landry Academy failed, but Greg Landry is still allowing people who have not received all the classes they'd paid for to apply the money already paid toward half the cost of his current classes, and he's working to pay back the debt to people who didn't get refunds from credit card companies, even though legally he's not required to do anything for them.  He may not be a great businessman, but he's a decent guy.  I know people who have applied their class credit toward current classes who have been very happy with the classes.  I haven't heard anything about this particular class, though.  What specific aspects of the class does your ds want to get away from? 

• Like 2

He may need to give it some more time but he found the first class to be "nothing special" and finds it annoying that so many kids during the class are asking questions and/or commenting in the chat about things that are not really necessary.  Like I said, he may need to be patient but he didn't think a concept was explained that well and he was confused so he looked it up on Khan and understood it and thought it was taught much better.  He's overwhelmed with the work right now because he has 3 weeks of make up work that Landry assigned to him to finish in 1 week in addition to this weeks' assignment.  I hope things improve and we didn't waste our money.

• Like 1

Well you already paid for the class so I would go ahead and stick with it.  As a new homeschooler the last thing you want to do is teach your son that (partly) due to his complaining or feelings, a class can easily be dropped 🙂 From the get go it's best to teach him he generally has to stick with things.

For a computer Science major, math is very important.  Saxon works and if your son has the patience to use Saxon with the DVD's or an online class, he will score high on SAT's and probably find a good comp sci program somewhere.  I would encourage you to supplement Saxon with Khan Academy SAT practice test and test prep, and any math clubs you can find!  Please advise him, however, that if he does join a math club he may feel "stupid" compared to the geniuses there but keep learning from them, and keep going and keep growing and seeing the amazing stuff they do there, will help him!  My son was the "least smart" one in Math CLub but he scored very high on his math SAT's and also he went to community college at age 15 to start Pre-Calc there 🙂

For Computer Science your son should start learning a little bit of coding.  There are a bunch of cool free programs to teach them the basics and the best place to start is Hour of Code.  🙂

You can do this, you will be fine.  Just help your son to be independent, have good study skills, and get out there and be part of the community as well. 

• Like 1