Menu

App: from spoken Spanish to English text?

alisoncooks

Can anyone save me some work and recommend an app?  

I need an app or site that'll translate spoken Spanish into English text on my phone. (For  something like listening to a sermon or a lecture, and I want to roughly follow along but I don't speak Spanish...that I could read the translation and it wouldn't disturb those around me). 

• Like 1

The technology has probably improved, tremendously, since this happened, many years ago... A dear friend used a program on the Internet to translate something from English into Spanish, when DD was a baby.  When I read it, it was so funny that I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack, because I was laughing so hard.  When I finally composed myself and got my wife to  come in and read it, her response was the same.

The bottom line here is that you can  probably get a general idea, but don't use one of those apps and then give a speech before the UN.

Trying to translate on-the-fly spoken language into text would seem to be much more difficult, but if it can be done properly, between any 2 languages, it will probably be from Spanish into English.

My guess is that there are actually some Apps that may be able to do a pretty good job of what you are seeking and that their first name may be "Google" however there may be other companies that are concentrating on that task and that have better technology.

It is pretty amazing what my inexpensive Android phone can do for me with all of the different Apps I have on it.

Good luck in finding  something that works properly for you!

• Like 1

I went to Google Play Store and searched for "translate Spanish speech to English text"  This is the URL of the SERPs: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=translate+Spanish+speech+to+English+text&c=apps&hl=en

Possibly begin your search for an App there (assuming you are on Android) and try other search terms, to see if you can find something with a good rating and good Reviews.

The basic church service is probably very similar to what  you are accustomed to in English, but if you don't know any of the words, you will be lost, because of the rapidity.  Possibly you can learn some basic Spanish as time goes on.

Edited by Lanny
changed to a better URL for Google Search Results

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

The basic church service is probably very similar to what  you are accustomed to in English, but if you don't know any of the words, you will be lost, because of the rapidity.  Possibly you can learn some basic Spanish as time goes on.

They are "sister" churches, so the sermon is the same topic, same main point, same church leadership.  Different in small details and presentation. (Not a liturgical church, so nothing like that.) But yes, I am hoping to increase my language knowledge - I'm calling it my Spanish immersion class. 😛

And thanks for your help - I don't have android. The search continues!

(And not to derail the thread - I saw you mention a product your daughter used for drawing digitally. What was that? My youngest is quite the artist, if I do say so, haha, and I'm looking to get her a more complete drawing system other than the apps she currently uses...)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

They are "sister" churches, so the sermon is the same topic, same main point, same church leadership.  Different in small details and presentation. (Not a liturgical church, so nothing like that.) But yes, I am hoping to increase my language knowledge - I'm calling it my Spanish immersion class. 😛

And thanks for your help - I don't have android. The search continues!

(And not to derail the thread - I saw you mention a product your daughter used for drawing digitally. What was that? My youngest is quite the artist, if I do say so, haha, and I'm looking to get her a more complete drawing system other than the apps she currently uses...)

You must be referring to the Wacom Bamboo Tablet we purchased for her, unexpectedly, in October 2012, when she began a 6th grade Math course for TTUISD.   They specified another product, which isn't available here in Colombia and if I had ordered it from the USA and it arrived here DOA, or later needed service, there's no service here, so I didn't want to buy that particular item.  Once I understood what it was for the Wacom Bamboo Tablet seemed to fit the bill and she learned how to use it for her Math courses. Later, she discovered that it can be used for Art things and she is still using it for that. She started with it in 6th grade (October 2012) and now it has  gone with her to UNC.   🙂  I think it was the least expensive Wacom Bamboo Tablet. We bought it from a company in Bogota that sells Wacom products and they shipped it to our house in Cali.   Note: I suspect there are other Wacom Tablets more appropriate for Artwork but am not positive about that. Essentially, the one my DD has is like an extremely accurate Mouse. Very precise.

• Like 1