Menu

Grammar portion of Treasured Conversations

Sarah0000

Does it cover well how to identify all the parts of speech and provide practice for using them? I've seen mention that it's great for showing why word choice is important but examples given were nouns, adjectives, verbs, and adverbs. I, and consequently my student, are doing well with that but I am struggling a bit with the other parts of speech. We are doing Dictation Day by Day and I have my son label the parts of speech as well, but I'm not sure on a lot of the little words in the sentences (besides articles).

I've been interested in TC so maybe I'll just grab it anyway. But do you guys think it would help me with this particular issue? Is there diagramming with answers? Is there targeted practice with conjunctions and prepositions? Am I the only one struggling with those?

My kids have done well with KISS grammar. It is more worksheets than conversation, but it is free. It has taken my oldest through adverbs, the different kinds of compliments, prepositions, verbals, clauses, and more so far. It doesn't diagram, just parse. I also find it light on punctuation.

The only thing I would suggest is, even though you might have a sixth grader (or upper elementary), it might be easier to grasp the concepts on the lower grade worksheets. For example, the second 'level' of the program comes in two editions, one using sentences on a third grade level and one that uses sentences that the author considers a sixth grade level. Sometimes it is difficult to learn a new grammar concept on a more difficult sentence. But it might work for your kid.

Here is a link directly to the workbooks.