Menu

Oregonians, I need suggestions on standardized testing please...

HSMom2One

We began homeschooling nearly 15 months ago, and dd is currently in 4th grade. If I understand correctly, I don't think it is a requirement for her to have standardized testing until 5th grade. Am I correct in that assumption? That is my first question....but I have more: What type of standardized testing do you use? Where do you purchase it? Who administers the test for your dc?

We don't belong to a co-op or HS group of any kind, so I'm really hoping you all (and I know you are out there) will be able to give me some guidance.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am not too sure about the testing requirements when you pull your children out of school. I do know that the test needs to be administered by a 3rd party (not yourself). http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Oregon.pdf Here is a pdf of the requirements. I do not know how you go about finding someone to do the testing. You should ask your ESD and they will let you know!

We sent our letter of intent the summer before we started homeschooling, so all is in place regarding that. We live in rural Yamhill Co. btw, between McMinnville and Newberg.

We were informed by 2-3 different sources that there is no requirement for testing during the first 18 months of homeschooling in our area. I believe, if I understand correctly, that she will need to be tested in 5th grade. That's why I'm thinking about it now...we need to be prepared.

Thank you both for your input.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am on staff at "that" school you mentioned, but testing is not available for my daughter. I checked with the headmaster last year, and he said they don't have the same type of testing as homeschoolers are required to take. Thus, here I am posting with questions on the WTM boards.

Haven't been to GFU library yet, but will be checking it out. They also have science programs for homeschooled children, which I think will be great for dd up ahead.

Blessings,

Lucinda

That is great information! I appreciate it.

I currently teach art to K-8th grade, so am there part-time, but after Christmas break I am cutting down to one day so will only have 4th-8th from there out. My elderly mother lives with us and it is getting harder for her to oversee dd on the two days I am gone. Next year I plan to organize private art classes from my home studio, particularly aimed at the needs of homeschool families.

Thank you also for your offer to join your HS group. I would love to do that if it weren't for the miles. (My husband works out of Silverton and our gas budget is already stretched.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

No help on testing, but I live right in the Newberg area and know a few of the students up at that school. :) I always tell hubby that if anything happens to me and he has to put the kids in school somewhere, that's the place. I do hope you'll teach some art classes. My guys would love that!

We just finished up with science at GFU and have done it for a couple of years. It's been great!