Menu

Spanish for a 4th grader with dyslexia?

ktgrok

Looking for low key, not too frustrating. I know some spanish (took several years of it and live in Florida so lots of chances to practice reading it on signs, hearing it spoken in the streets, etc). Video based would be great, or workbook, don't like CD's as I lose them, lol. So streaming is better than actual DVD or CDs. 

Thoughts? Can't be too heavy on reading/writing, but some is fine. 

My kids have been watching The ULAT videos.  I love that it is immersion and initially focuses solely on oral language instead of reading and writing.  I also read them a lot of picture books and Comprehensible Input stories (I am an intermediate speaker, so I am confident in my pronunciation even when I don't understand every word in the books).  We watch YouTube Spanish videos and songs, Muzzy videos, Salsa Spanish videos, etc. 

My older kids do read fluently in Spanish, and my third son is in the process of learning, but that is only because he has been reading fluently in English for several years.  If I had a child who was struggling with reading English, then I would continue learning and practicing Spanish entirely aurally and orally.  If you wanted something open and go, you could try using Getting Started with Spanish completely entirely orally.  I also really like these fables which start at a beginner level.

Wendy

• Like 1