Menu

WWYD - mold on vent covers

PrincessMommy

We're busy painting the ceiling in our kitchen/main room before our floors are re-done.  I took off 3 ceiling A/C vents 2 of them had mold on the underside.  😲 

The A/C duct was probably added 30yrs ago when they installed central air.  But, up in the attic it doesn't look like traditional square-shaped hard duct work, but round flexible coil type like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-6-in-x-25-ft-Insulated-Flexible-Duct-R6-Silver-Jacket-F6IFD6X300/100396935

Is it even possible to clean that?  

Edited by PrincessMommy

Thank you.  This is quite helpful.  I've wondered if our unit was too big.  It's seems LARGE for our space, but that's all I had to go on.   Hadn't thought that maybe its really ducts.    All of it was DIY by the previous owner - he wasn't an H/Vac engineer 🙄   

Running a dehumidifier or two in the summer might be a cheaper way to address the problem than buying a new HVAC system.  We had the same issue in our place in Oklahoma.  Previous owner cared more about the speed of cooling the house down than about mold.  I ended up having to replace ALL the vent covers, but the ducting itself didn't have mold.  The cold air was causing condensation at the vents themselves, but the air was moving too fast for it to condense much inside them.  There's a specific kind of mold that grows only in AC systems, I don't remember the details but google identified it at the time.

• Like 1