Menu

Chapter correlation between SOTW1 and HOTAW

We're studying ancient history this year and I would like to use SOTW1 for my younger children while my older son and I read HOTAW.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already correlated the chapters between these books.  Is anyone aware of a chapter correlation out there?

Thanks Slache.  I've seen a few different correlations, but that resource has a lot more.  With SOTW being so popular over the years, I'm surprised that correlating both of Susan's history series isn't more readily available for those homeschooling children of varying ages. 

2 minutes ago, Julie Earley said:

Thanks Slache.  I've seen a few different correlations, but that resource has a lot more.  With SOTW being so popular over the years, I'm surprised that correlating both of Susan's history series isn't more readily available for those homeschooling children of varying ages. 

I've heard they don't overlap well. I have no personal opinion on that.

I've been through SotW twice (once correlating with K12 The Human Odyssey), and I just started HotAW last week with my 9th graders. I would recommend just doing both of them in parallel with no extra effort. Some places will perhaps chance to line up, many won't, but the time period is basically the same. I don't think your older child(ren) will get confused if you are reading a book or doing an activity that focuses on one part of the world while they move on to a different country, or something that is 100 years in front of or behind what they are reading about. You may find it works out to be a good opportunity for review - "did you notice that for SotW this event was a bit simplified", etc.

We have done a 3 year American History cycle alongside the 4 year World History cycle and although I was concerned about confusion the first time through, it really never happened.

Perhaps you have specific reasons for wanting to correlate that I'm not thinking of.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, parent said:

Since seeing this thread, I'm looking at getting a set of Story of US to use with SOTW 3 this year.  I was planning to expand on US history during that time period and would love it to be a little more scripted like this.  Would Story of US be too old for my 8 and 10 yr olds?

Can anyone recommend a good audio US history to pair with SOTW?

Story of Us is available on Audible. I would argue that 10 is fine, but I would not use it with an 8 year old. I'm not overly passionate about that. 🙂

9 hours ago, parent said:

Any other recommendations for an easy 2nd text to add in for my children's ages?  I do have an The American Story, history story book, and lots of supplements but would like a 2nd spine so I don't leave anything out.

Would Guerber Thirteen Colonies and Great Republic be a better option?

Short answer? No.

Long answer? I have never found a spine that I like. Thirteen and Great would most likely be boring and too much. I am not familiar with The American Story. Here are spines I would consider and then I will tell you what I would do.

Landmark History of The American People I & II
DK Children's Encyclopedia
Our American Heritage
Stories of America
America The Beautiful
Complete Book of US History

Personally, I think two spines would be redundant. I would pick one spine (SOTW), print the tables of contents of 3 or 4 additional spines, see what's in the TOCs that I want to include and find library books or documentaries to cover those topics. Also, If you're choosing to do a timeline I would put two blank outline maps in the back, one world and one US, and have them map The Trail of Tears, Lewis and Clark Expedition, World Wars, Etc. I am a visual person and I wish someone did this for me.

Other things to consider:

American Children's Poems
Washington's Rules of Civility Copywork
This series on national parks
Extreme Dot to Dot
This series of American music (this is kind of a hodgepodge, just ignore the unrelated)
Stuff They Left Behind
BF Booklists, especially the so and so's world books
Drawing Around The World
Draw The USA
American Art History
The American Patriot's Handbook
Syl Sobel
America's Federal Holidays
My Folks Don't Want Me To Talk About Slavery
Trail Guide to Geography

On 7/24/2019 at 5:38 PM, Paradox5 said:

I don;t suppose you would be willing to share your line up of SOTW and k12 Human Ody thus saving me hours of work? Pretty please?

Happily. It was started by another Boardie before me. Can you pm me? I can email you this weekend when I am home.It is all excel sheets.