Menu

Placement for 10yo 4th grader and 12.5yo 7th grader

JackieR86

I need some help with placement for my 10 yo (who is not a strong reader) and almost 13 yo (who is resistant to everything, and is not at grade level at all.) 

Backstory - 12.5yo is a reluctant... learner. She will do it if she is interested, but if not... she acts like she is being tortured. After a long time of trying to let her do self paced EVERYTHING (because the fighting is overwhelming me) I have come back to needing to hold her hand and help her with everything. We are in the process of evaluating her for an IEP. She has a hard time with reading, and can get most of her original thoughts onto paper (a topic that interests her completely), but her actual writing, grammar, spelling, and getting anything academic onto paper is not happening. She did about half of the logic of english foundations program (level b) and years ago, did some of FLL1 and WWE1. I am having her start at the beginning of AAS, and then I was wanting to implement WWS/E and FLL/Intermediate Grammar. I think she would resist doing WWE4... simply because of the long dictations. And FLL/Intermediate... I'm not sure which she should be in. Assuming she has a very basic knowledge of grammar/writing/narration/dictation... and the fact that she is going into 7th grade... Would it be reasonable to put her in WWS1 and Intermediate Grammar (Purple) and go half speed, if it is too much? I am wanting to kind of get her a little closer to where she should be, academically. 

How about the 10yo? Going into 4th. Working through level 3 of AAR right now (to give you an idea of reading ability) Would level 2 of FLL and WWE be alright for her? I have levels 1, 2, and 3 of each here, and don't see a HUGE difference between the 1st two levels. What do you think?

If you read my novel, and have suggestions... i thank you ❤️

I would think FLL2/WWE2 would be a good place to start your 10 year old. 

I think WWS1 would likely not be a good fit for a very reluctant, behind-grade-level 7th grader. Perhaps something simpler, less intense so she might find joy in the work and experience some success? Others might chime in with some suggestions. I just think WWS could be overwhelming and demoralizing.

• Like 1

I would focus on getting them reading at grade level, do something orally while working on their reading. Try my syllables program followed by all the 2+ syllable words in Webster.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Here is the PDF of Webster, you can also buy the book from Don Potter.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/websterspellingbookmethod.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Websters-Spelling-Method-Teaching-Reading/dp/1496153278/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=spelling+book+method&qid=1563387470&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Honestly, I'd consider either not doing a formal writing curriculum or just do oral writing for a kid with struggles this significant, until you get a bit farther along with spelling. 

AAS has a gradual progression for increasing the student’s stamina and fluency in writing that’s very helpful for struggling writers. It starts with just words and short phrases in Level 1, bumps up to phrases and short sentences in Level 2, and progresses to 12 dictation sentences per step in Level 3.  Partway through this level, the Writing Station is introduced.  In this exercise, students write sentences of their own that they make up using some of their spelling words.

In this way, students have begun to use words in a more real-world context through dictation and writing, to help them transition to longer writing assignments.

Dictation and the Writing Station both serve as an important bridge between spelling words in the context of lists (where the patterns are similar), and more “real world” writing.  By the end of Level 3, students have mastered about 1000 words from the regular and reinforcement lists, and they have developed stamina and some beginning editing skills that will help them when they start a formal writing program. 

Older students can usually get through 3 levels in a year (my oldest did, 1, 2, and most of 3 in 6th grade), so you wouldn't have to wait too long, but I think you'd find it worthwhile to just do some informal writing or oral writing for this year, and work on a program next year.