Menu

Horizon vs. Abeka Math for 2nd grade

lilamom

What are some of the pros/cons of Horizon vs. Abeka math for second grade?

Background: we did Miquon for K, Singapore at a private school for most of 1st, but struggled to continue Singapore at home for the end of 1st.

I want to go with a procedural curriculum that will provide a really solid foundation and be fairly straightforward. We will probably need to back up to a first grade level for math to review a bit.

Thank you so much for any advice! 🙂

My kids are all grown up so it’s been awhile.  That said we used A Beka and I can’t compare beyond they are both colorful which was a requirement for my kids.  Not sure that you have to go back a year if you are willing to work hard on the first 30 or so lessons which should mainly be review.  We actually combined the A Beka with Singapore and my kids did both......

I've only used Horizons, but know others who used Abeka with good results.   My kids got good results and did well on Iowa tests.  One doesn't like math and did enough to get low A's/B's in high school with another curriculum and the other one excells at math in high school.  Third one is starting Horizons 2 in the fall.  He seems to be doing well.   A lot of people say the TG is not helpful, but I think it is quite helpful.  I follow their recommendations to fit our day.  For example if it says skip count by 6 to 100 we may not do all of that and only skip count by singing to 36.  Somedays we do exactly what it says.

Horizons is my one constant curriculum for all my kids.

Edited by Mbelle
  • Like 1