Menu

LTW for Elementary Age

I'm not sure how to appropriately describe what I'm looking for but here goes...

I'm looking for a writing curriculum for mid- to late-elementary that starts teaching with more persuasive/technical/logical though process writing as the end goal. I feel like that's 90% of the writing that gets done in high school, college, and adulthood.

We've got creative writing coming out the ears in our house so the curriculums that start with emulating stories and fables will be superfluous as she already does that in spades. We've got narrations nailed down so the retelling aspect is moot.

It just seems that all of the curriculums I look at for that level are all just writing down retellings or summaries.

Treasured Conversations doesn't start with it, but it's a very nice progression from forming a sentence, to outlining/writing a topic sentence/working from an outline to writing simple reports. It's a one year course for late elementary.  Writing Strands (old version - darker cover with a birdcage on the cover) is written to the student and covers several different types of writing over each level.
If you use SOTW, the activity guide for that will have beginning outlining starting in volume 4, and I do believe History Odyssey does the same in their level 2 books.  That's another option, too, if you want to use different subjects for language arts work.

However.......if I were you I'd think about why so many elementary curricula heavily rely on narration until about 4th grade or so and what that transition period looks like in middle school to more technical writing.  Just because something's appropriate for high school doesn't mean it's always a good idea to spend more years doing it before then. 

• Like 1

My opinion: You can certainly teach structure--outlining, writing from outlines, research, and basic essays on different topics. We used IEW for this as young as 2nd grade. 

But as far as persuasive essays go, and especially if you are looking at LTW as a reference, that comes with maturity and it would be a rare child that can think at that level while still in elementary grades (which I consider to be K-5).