Menu

Anyone else's student struggling with application essays?

My rising senior is really struggling with writing essays for her college applications. This daughter is a particularly good writer and enjoys writing papers for classes so I have been caught off-guard with how much of a struggle a personal essay is for her.  None of the school she is applying for require the personal essay, it is optional. Are ACT scores make her an automatic act meant for all of her schools as well. Should we just skip the essay? Will it be important for scholarships? 

5 hours ago, Shellydon said:

Since the essay is optional is it really that bad to skip it or will that hurt scholarship chances? 

Shellydon:

My guess: It will definitely hurt her scholarship chances.

Both of our students wrote really fine essays for colleges where they hoped for scholarships; each received merit aid worth full tuition or more. — Difficult to imagine their receiving such awards without those essays...

—Roy Speed

3 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Hmmm, good question. Is it a school that publishes automatic merit aid numbers for certain GPA/test scores? If so, I would think it wouldn’t be necessary to write the optional essay. It might be worth asking the schools. 

Yes, all of the school she is applying for publish automatic merit financial aid numbers. 

25 minutes ago, royspeed said:

Shellydon:

My guess: It will definitely hurt her scholarship chances.

Both of our students wrote really fine essays for colleges where they hoped for scholarships; each received merit aid worth full tuition or more. — Difficult to imagine their receiving such awards without those essays...

—Roy Speed

This is what I'm really worried about.  at this point though we may not have a choice she simply is not being able to produce an essay.  Literature analysis and technical writing it's very easy for her and she excels, but this type of writing is apparently impossible. 

7 hours ago, Shellydon said:

This is what I'm really worried about.

Shellydon:

It's distressing to hear that your daughter is struggling with this challenge — i.e., the personal essay.

I have long been concerned about our standard approaches to student writing — for instance, students' being asked to write essays before they've actually read any. Unfortunately, the standard approaches don't always help the student discover his or her own "voice" in writing. 

Feel free to message me, Shellydon; I may have some suggestions.

—Roy Speed

15 hours ago, royspeed said:

Shellydon:

It's distressing to hear that your daughter is struggling with this challenge — i.e., the personal essay.

I have long been concerned about our standard approaches to student writing — for instance, students' being asked to write essays before they've actually read any. Unfortunately, the standard approaches don't always help the student discover his or her own "voice" in writing. 

Feel free to message me, Shellydon; I may have some suggestions.

—Roy Speed

Thanks!