Menu

TOG - what do I plan?

Pretty in Pink

i have read in many threads on this board about the planning involved w/ TOG but i just don't see it. can you please elaborate?

granted, i just got mine in yesterday so i am still becoming familiar with it, and i only have one student at this point. but the lesson plans look really laid out, just select your student's level, do the basics, and choose a few extras. i see there is a bit of reading for the parent to do each week as well.

i guess when i think of planning, i think of the days when i literally built my own unit studies from the ground up, now THAT my friends was planning! lol

so, what sort of planning to you do w/ TOG, how long does it take, etc?

For my D student, I decide what I want her to do, write it on a piece of note paper and hand it to her with a chart for her to fill in. She is then responsible for getting it done and on time. She's 13 and she does it very well.

For my UG student, I figure out what I want her to do and fill in her chart for science, history, Bible, literature, art and music. She then fills in the math, grammar, spelling, etc (things that are "do the next lesson"). Then she follows the chart all week. She is 10.

For my LG student, I figure out what he is going to do and fill in his chart completely. If I don't write it on his chart, he doesn't do it. If I don't write drill every day, he doesn't do drill every day. If I don't write piano every day, he doesn't practice daily. Then he follows the chart and does everything.

They all use their chart as a check-off sheet. They know what they are to do, when they need to come get me to do something. Maybe I'm strange this way, but I teach when they come to me and tell me "I'm ready for x". It works for us.

But like I said, planning for all three takes an hour. That does not include finding the books at the library or anything else, that is making out their check-off sheets.

I don't find TOG hard to plan, but I like planning. Since you are used to unit studies you shouldn't find it hard either. I think the biggest thing is deciding which books to use and either buying them or making sure you get them from the library on time. Next year my daughter will be 6th grade and will be doing dialectic for the first time. I am going to take the student pages with the accountability questions and put them into Word and then add lines so that she can answer the questions. I also print out any maps needed ahead of time. I like to read to teacher notes ahead of time. This could be done Sunday evening before the start of the new week. It really is just deciding what parts of TOG you want to do and making sure you have everything.

Janis in DE who will be using Redesigned for

the first time next year.