Menu

My cats are now more environmentally friendly

Isn't that a ridiculous thing to say? :lol:

But, seriously, I'm proud of the fact that they've managed the transition from clumping litter to pine pellets. Some of you may recall that I asked about how to do this here. I took the leap and purchased a bag of pellets from Trader Joes earlier in the month. On first attempt (I switched them cold turkey), the darlings just stopped doing anything meaningful in the box. There was "sawdust" and footprints, so I knew they were relieving themselves in some fashion, just not the Big Stinky. After a couple days of this, I decided I'd better mix in some of the original clumping stuff before I ended up with the Big Stinky in my closet.

Fast forward to now, and they are using the plain pellets without issue. One bag lasted us about 2 weeks (2 cats). We scoop the solids out into a reusable plastic container and toss them outside in various locations, using what we've now deemed the Poop Fling Method.

No more nasty clumping litter. No more individual plastic bags. Just scoop and fling. Wheeeee! :D

I'm sure you now feel quite edified.

If you want to environmentally friendly and economical, stop buying the small bags labeled as "cat litter" and for the same price, buy a 50 pound sack of woodstove pellets.

You're right! I know about this option (they are the same product, but the cat version requires more money spent on marketing!). Sadly, there is no vendor in my area selling bags of wood stove pellets. :confused: I'm hoping to hook up with the father of a friend who gets his stove pellets out of town.

My cats absolutely refused to use the pine pellets; however, we found another good litter, Arm & Hammer Essentials. It's made out of corn cobs, and has the baking soda in it as well for odor control. It clumps well, too! We are very happy with it, and because it's so much more absorbant than the regular clumping litter, it's lasting a lot longer for us. Each 10-lb bag is about $8. Petsmart has it.

Ria