Menu

Suggestions for what to do after "Teach your child to read in 100 Easy Lessons"?

Alaska Mom

Do we need a formal reading curriculum to follow the "100 Easy Lessons"?

Dd6 is close to finishing this and I don't know where to go from here.

She's very good with phonics and sounding out, and can read pretty well, but she's still not picking up books and willingly reading on her own. She loves me reading to her, and we do alot of reading together, with me sitting with her and helping her as she reads or she just follows me as I read. I don't know if I just keep this going until she starts reading books on her own, or if we need a follow-up curriculum at this point?

I have no idea how reading is supposed to progress. Help from anyone would be greatly appreciated! :D

You need to be able to sound out almost everything before reading on your own or you can fall into bad guessing habits.

More than all the sounds you need to know and their percentages here:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/Resources/Letter%20sound%20read.pdf These percentages come from the Hanna Study of the most common 17,000 words in the English language. A great book based on this study is "The ABCs and All Their Tricks," it's worth buying as a reference guide for reading and spelling questions. I use it often.

The RRF UK has some nice charts showing all the major sounds you need to know, look at their sidebar to the right, the free downloads, the Phonics teaching sheet and phonics assessment sheet:

http://www.rrf.org.uk/

I would work through Blend Phonics as a review, and then Webster's Speller--when you're finished with the Speller, she'll be able to read anything!

For Blend Phonics, just do a word or two from each unit for review, use the Blend Phonics Reader. I'd also do some oral and written spelling for each unit. If she has trouble with a unit, do more words from that unit. Blend Phonics is free online here: http://donpotter.net/Blend%20Phonics.htm

Then, work through the syllabary in Webster, then move on to words of 2 and more syllables, working through the book from there. (Link below explaining how I used it with my daughter.)

Here are some nice books for reading that use the syllable divisions in Webster, they allow a child to read beyond their current grade level because the syllable divisions make it easy to sound out the long words. My daughter needed to see words divided for a few months before she learned to divide them on her own. http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllabledividedb.html

You may need to teach some syllable division rules and practice dividing syllables. My daughter learned better just seeing them divided, the rules just went in one ear and out the other, but they are helpful for some students. I teach the syllable division rules in my spelling lessons, there are 5 lessons, approximately 20 minutes each. They also teach all the phonics you need to be able to read well. (They move to fast for a 6 year old, though. They're for older remedial students or for parents who have forgotten the phonics they learned or who never learned all the phonics basics in the first place.)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellinglessonsl.html

We went to Spell to Write and Read... and stayed there for the next four years. 100EL does a terrific job of teaching children to sound out words, but SWR is what made my kids truly fluent readers and spellers. Lately I've seen lots of buzz about All About Spelling, which wasn't around when my children were little, but it also uses the Orton-Gillingham phonograms/methods.

For readers, we went straight from 100EL to the Pathway readers. My kids were CRAZY about these and begged to read them. We also used some of A Beka's early readers. I found that when they were just starting out, it was easier to stick with controlled-vocabulary readers than to try to find library books that wouldn't frustrate them. That period didn't last long, however (6 months, maybe?) and they soon were able to tackle a broader range of material.

Good luck finding the right thing for you and your DD. It sounds like she's doing very well so far :).

SBP

I had my ds #2 start a book "journal" after finishing 100 Easy Lessons. I choose books for him to read aloud to me, and when he finishes I scan and print a picture from the book for him to color and put in his book. He writes in the title and author. He has really liked having a concrete record of what he has accomplished, and looks forward to completing books.

I have varied the books used. I try to alternate easier and harder books, right now we're using a lot of the Usborne Young Reader series. I also give him books to read at night before sleeping, sometimes he reads them and sometimes he just looks at the pictures.

My ds #1 didn't need anything after 100 Easy Lessons, he just took off. My second one has been needing the extra work.

was LLATL 2 (red book) + Spectrum phonics 2 + CLP's readers. I began using CLP's K readers when my ds completed ~lesson 50 in 100EL. If you dd has finished 100EL you may want to go straight in to the CLP 1 reader "Meeting New Friends". I found that LLATL 2 was good for getting them to read longer stories & they enjoyed the silly animal stories. I, also, put together a book box of easy readers for each ds to choose from for quiet time reading. These books were usually at a level easier than what they were reading in their readers.

I've found that my dc "can read" long before they "choose to read" on their own. Ds#1 was almost 12yo when he began to read for enjoyment & ds#2 just started reading everything in sight (he'll turn 11yo in January). I can remember exactly when my dd caught the reading bug as she was in PS for 6 years, but I think it was about 9-10yo. All my dc still love it when I read aloud to them & each always has an audiobook they are listening to at bedtime. Dd is currently listening to The Illiad, ds#1 is listening to Dante's Comedia, & ds#2 is listening to The Hobbit.

JMHO,