Menu

Real Science 4 Kids?

I asked in another thread for advice on spending charter funds and this was recommended. After looking it over I think it could be a great fit. I’ve pretty much jumped back and forth between ES and RSO for DS science so far. DD is going into 1st and she will listen as much as she is interested when DS does science but she is not very interested. I’m not very Science minded myself so I really don’t want to do another science on a different topic with her. This looks like something I could get for her from the Focus on series on whatever topic DS is doing. Would this be a good fit for a 1st grader? Are all the Focus Books the same level of difficulty so it doesn’t matter which one I get? I don’t see any kits, are they available? If not, are the materials easy to find?

Home Science Tools has some kits of the harder to find things for the Focus On series.  https://www.homesciencetools.com/product/focus-on-elementary-science-set-lab-kit-pre-level-1/

When I used some of those books, materials were usually easy to find (but I'm in a large metro area with walmart, and home depot kind of stores). The publisher has the recommendation of chemistry and physics, then bio, geology, astronomy.  Although the publisher sometimes switches the biology and physics books order for suggestion depending on what has been previously studied.  Here is a chart that explains that difference http://gravitaspub.wpengine.com/?page_id=166

I don't know if it is good with first grader or not.  Well, ok I don't want to answer the question.  I used some of the Focus On books with an older child but was reading/listening at about 1st-2nd grade level (due to LD).  I liked the short lessons. The texts worked for us to have intro materials. wasn't overwhelming and that is what made it great for our situation. looking forward to other reviews.