Menu

What classes would be suitable for a advanced reader?

Sayli

DD is 10 and in 5th grade but reads at an advanced 8th grade level or lexile level 'Z'. That is all well and good but I feel she would benefit from more challenging ELA curriculum than offered at our public school. I bought the MCT 1st level books in digital format, but we have not gathered momentum on those. I was wondering if you could recommend any online courses for writing and/or ELA that would be beneficial?

I see that royal fireworks press as well online G3 offer MCT courses as well as essay writing. Can someone please tell me which ones are good and would be valuable for my child?

I've looked at them and am overwhelmed, but I know she needs a good solid challenging course.

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sayli said:

DD is 10 and in 5th grade but reads at an advanced 8th grade level or lexile level 'Z'. That is all well and good but I feel she would benefit from more challenging ELA curriculum than offered at our public school. I bought the MCT 1st level books in digital format, but we have not gathered momentum on those. I was wondering if you could recommend any online courses for writing and/or ELA that would be beneficial?

I see that royal fireworks press as well online G3 offer MCT courses as well as essay writing. Can someone please tell me which ones are good and would be valuable for my child?

I've looked at them and am overwhelmed, but I know she needs a good solid challenging course.

Thanks in advance. 

I didn't ever use MCT writing, but we did both Island and Town level. (Island is the first level) The town level is the Island level just ramped up a bit. My DS was 10 when we did Town and he found it challenging to complete the practice book. 

We have used Online G3 but not the writing classes so I can't speak to those specifically, but the quality of the classes my son has taken have been very high, and well worth the money spent. I wouldn't hesitate to sign him up for a writing class there if we were looking for one. He took the Lord of the Rings literature class and enjoyed it. He learned a lot. 

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in! 

Are you definitely looking for an on-line class? Is your DD in school full time, and adding this class on after-school?

I couldn't tell from your post whether you wanted a full ELA program, or just a literature supplement to what is offered at her school.  What about having your DD read through classic literature, instead of taking a formal class? Here are some great book lists:

https://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:07 PM, JHLWTM said:

Are you definitely looking for an on-line class? Is your DD in school full time, and adding this class on after-school?

I couldn't tell from your post whether you wanted a full ELA program, or just a literature supplement to what is offered at her school.  What about having your DD read through classic literature, instead of taking a formal class? Here are some great book lists:

https://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

Yes DD is in full time school and I'm looking to supplement. I was especially wondering about her taking some good quality challenging online classes. 

Thanks for the link, I will go through it. DD goes through books really fast and I'm always looking for recommendations.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:01 PM, Runningmom80 said:

I didn't ever use MCT writing, but we did both Island and Town level. (Island is the first level) The town level is the Island level just ramped up a bit. My DS was 10 when we did Town and he found it challenging to complete the practice book. 

We have used Online G3 but not the writing classes so I can't speak to those specifically, but the quality of the classes my son has taken have been very high, and well worth the money spent. I wouldn't hesitate to sign him up for a writing class there if we were looking for one. He took the Lord of the Rings literature class and enjoyed it. He learned a lot. 

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in! 

Thanks its great to know that you have good things to say about Online G3. Do you mind if I ask which courses your son has taken there so far and which ones he liked?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sayli said:

Thanks its great to know that you have good things to say about Online G3. Do you mind if I ask which courses your son has taken there so far and which ones he liked?

He has taken a Scratch workshop, Computer coding, The Lord of the Rings lit class and he's finishing up Critical Thinking this semester. 

He's liked them all!

Would your students be able to take the OG3 courses live? It's less engaging if you can't participate in the live discussion. Another alternative is Athena's Advanced Academy's Think Books series as well. 

Both of these providers separate writing from literature because students who can process material at a high level do not generally speaking have corresponding output. All of their courses are designed around the fact that writing ability tends to follow more closely with chronological age.

I can't tell if what time zone you are in, but both OG3 and AAA's courses are generally PST friendly, so it is possibly to sometimes do live courses after school for East Coasters.

My son really enjoyed the Think Books series and has done the Lightning Lit 7 & 8 at OG3. He also did Grammar Town as well. 

It's a little unclear if you are looking for literature or writing as those are often separated in online classes. There are definitely ones that combine literature and composition.

There's a master list of on-line providers in the General Education forum which lists a lot of providers. Searching on these boards about specific providers gives you an idea of how rigorous and time demanding those courses are.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...