Menu

DE math advice

Dd will be a junior next year.  She is currently finishing up Algebra II using Forester.  She started the year using AoPS Intermediate Algebra and successfully completed AoPS Pre-Algebra through Geometry.  Intermediate Algebra was taking too much time and we decided to switch course mid-year.  Most of Forester has been review for her due to covering much of the topics in AoPS Intro to Algebra.  But because we switched course mid-year, we will not get to any of the trig units.  I am now trying to plan the rest of her high school math.

Dd will be taking fall semester of 11th grade off of math entirely.  She is attending a one semester boarding school that does not offer math.  So, I have three semesters in which to complete two full high school credits of math.  I have a great DE option at my disposal.  While researching this option and making an assumption that college Pre-Calc is the next best route, I see I have two options.  She could either take one semester of Pre-Calc or two semesters of College Algebra and Trig, which translates to one semester of Pre-Calc.  Both options would translate to one high school credit of Pre-Calc.  She will have to take a math placement test but I suspect she will be eligible to take Pre-Calc so the choice would be ours.  

I am only considering the two semesters of College Algebra because she has never taken a non-mommy math class so is not used to tests and strict timelines, although she has taken other tough outsourced classes with success.  And she will have had no prior exposure to trig.  The downside is that there would probably be a lot of review which could be boring and it forces us into having her take DE Calculus I during the spring of her 12th grade year in order to get the full 4 math credits.  If she just takes the one-semester Pre-Calc class, she would have more options for that last credit of math such as Derek Owens, taking it at home, or taking two semesters of DE Calc if Pre-Calc went well.

What says the hive?