Menu

Genealogy (it's all Scarlet's fault)

I'm reviving the thread!

Has anyone found anything of interest lately?

One brick wall is finally making progress. On another side, I found a message from a cousin, left to me two years ago, three years after my post. My mama gave her all the info she had on that side (things my mama didn't share with me). I contacted her on FB and let her know that she had more information than I did, but that yes, I would be interested. Like I expected, I did not hear back from her. Our mothers have a lifelong feud going on. One reason that I have avoided contact with that side; I don't want to be in the middle of that mess.

Yep, you guys got me started on it too. My mom bought me a year's subscription for my birthday last March. I found out that my 13 greats-grandfather was George Calvert, the 1st Lord Baltimore and founder of the great state of Maryland :)

I also trace my roots back 11 generations to Andrew Robeson who acquired 1500 acres from William Penn through his uncle in Pennsylvania in the 1660's that would eventually become Fairmount Park. The ruins of his old Mill are still on the property. He named the area Roxborough after his home town in Scotland. He was the second Justice of the Peace of Philadelphia, succeeding his uncle and active in the colonial gov't of PA and NJ until his death. There was apparently a gorgeous estate house built in the mid-1600's that was torn down to make room for the portion of Roosevelt blvd that would eventually be the Schuylkill expressway. Such a shame. It was the oldest estate in Pennsylvania until the 1920's.

I also found out one of my my ggg-grandfathers was a polygamist with over 20 children.

And another gggg-grandfather who stole a bunch of horses, ran off on his wife to be a gold miner in CA. He died the same year. Probably shot in the back :glare:

Barb

Whenever see 'It's all Scarlett's fault!" I just smile.

Odd because I am the non-geneology person in my family. My mom does all that.

However, by accident I've discovered that

a) my MIL was pregnant with my BIL when she married FIL

2) Her first husband was NOT dead when she married FIL--they had divorced

3) My MIL was adopted at birth.

4) My FIL sold cars for a living before he became a hospital administrator.