Menu

book on learning styles

Cathy Duffy's 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum reviews specific programs and suggests which of the 4 different learning styles that she describes at the start of the book may be a good fit for that program.

A few quick thoughts:
1. Apparently, there is no scientific evidence "proving" any of the different theories of learning styles.
2. Most pre-K / kinder / early elementary curricula/materials incorporate multi-sensory techniques / multi-learning styles. Children in this age range are very hands-on, and most programs include a lot of manipulatives and visuals.
3. Many families find that their children don't seem to have any particularly strong leaning toward any one learning style*.
4. Because of #2 and #3, many families don't really need to worry about learning styles*.
5. Children with learning disabilities, processing issues, delayed timetable of maturing in an area, or other issue, are more apt to need specific learning techniques.
6. If your child has a very strong leaning towards one learning style*, start with materials that are the most natural/easiest way for the student to take in the information, and then add materials as supplement from the other learning style* areas to help strengthen the child's "weak" areas of in-taking information.

Definition of terms:
* = learning styles = ways people most naturally or most easily take in information (visual, auditory, tactile, kinesthetic)
** = brain dominance = ways people process that information in the brain:
       left hemisphere (abstract / sequential / parts to whole)
       right hemisphere (concrete / random / whole to parts)

All that said, whether "scientifically proven" or not, I *absolutely* found learning style information and techniques immensely helpful here. Both of our DSs exhibited very strong and very different learning styles* and brain dominances**.  While I could pretty much use any materials with DS#1,  DS#2 had mild LDs and using materials that fit his learning style* absolutely made a huge difference in moving forward in educating him.

Final thought: since your children are so VERY young, and because you are just getting started in your homeschool journey, I'd first focus on clarifying your own educational philosophy and think through your overall goals for your educational journey. From there, you can start thinking about what specific curricula will best help you achieve your educational goals. And once you get into the daily doing of homeschooling, if you find your choice of materials is not a fit, then you might look in to learning styles. I suggest this order because it's important to have your overall view in mind first, but also because of thought #2 above -- materials for your children's ages are usually including multiple learning style techniques, so you're likely covered on the learning styles front, LOL.

In case it helps, below I am reprinting a list I have found useful. Wishing you all the BEST as you begin your homeschool journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

These are generalizations; no student is only "all one thing". However, if your child is strongly falls into one learning style, "hook" your child's interest with their learning style strength, then present additional/supplemental material in all the learning styles to strengthen their weak areas and really embed the information in their brain in multiple ways.

LEARNING STYLES (how we best/most naturally take in information)

KINESTHETIC  (Do-ers/Touchers)

Kinesthetic Traits:
- favors sports and building
- high energy
- loves to touch
- uses body when antsy
- in constant motion
- dislikes sitting long
- uses fingers to count
- usually has rumpled clothes
- has difficulty following oral directions

Kinesthetic Helps:
- math manipulatives
- manipulatives
- allow touching
- take many breaks
- use hands-on activities
- divide chores up
- allow building/construction
- allow body movement to help with concentration

AUDITORY (Talkers/Listeners)

Auditory Traits:
- remembers commercials
- uses rhyming to remember
- talks aloud doing math
- a better listener than reader
- reads aloud
- has difficulty reading maps
- very verbal
- likes to talk to people

Auditory Helps:
- make audiotapes (esp. for spelling)
- set learning to music
- talk them through writing a paper
- read aloud
- study groups
- have a quiet place for study/learning
- watch videos (for audio narration)

VISUAL  (Watchers)

Visual Traits:
- assemble by pictures
- closes eyes to memorize
- observant
- good with puzzles
- vivid imagination
- looks neat
- better reader than listener
- rarely volunteers answers
- takes many notes
- watches/learns from TV

Visual Helps:
- illustrate everything
- make a mind-map (visual plan) for writing
- use post-it notes to organize
- highlight different topics in different colors
- write down chores
- use transparency sheets to reduce glare on white pages of books/workbooks

BRAIN DOMINANCE (how we process information)

LEFT BRAIN

Left Brain Uses or is Strong with:
- analytical
- dates
- numbers
- taxon memory
- lists
- names
- math facts
- short term memory stored here

Left Brain Processes:
- words
- the familiar
- sequential
- parts to whole
- the abstract
- listens
- is a joiner
- step-by-step
- routine
- organized
- linear thinking
- writing/talking
- detailed
- focused

RIGHT BRAIN

Right Brain Uses or is Strong with:
- spatial
- color
- music
- creativity
- design
- feelings
- storytelling
- hands-on
- long-term memory stored here

Right Brain Processes:
- pictures
- the new
- processing is random (rather than sequential/orderly)
- whole to parts
- intuitive
- sees overall patterns
- participates
- is independent
- demonstrations
- is impulsive
- creative
- 3-D thinking
- drawing
- highly distractible

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that! 

What got me started on this was my DD7 asked to listen to music while she wrote out her spelling words (assigned homework) the other day. I let her and she did a great job, quickly and with no fussing. Usually it is painful for all of us! I can't even compose a coherent email if music is on. I can't imagine actually being able to learn anything while listening to music, it is so distracting to me. But I thought perhaps there are people who learn better with music playing? None of the learning styles above fit spot on but she does seem very right-brain dominant as you described it. 

I don't know what an educational philosophy is supposed to look like but I want to nurture the whole child. I want more time to play outside, read, do crafts, teach life skills, chores and do extra-curriculars without being over-scheduled. I want to foster creativity, I think my DD is currently a square peg being shoved into a round hole. Academic rigor is important to me in the long run but right now I want to foster a love of learning and curiosity and not be rush rush rush all the time.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...