Menu

What about appetizers and desserts for Thanksgiving?

Jane

I don't have any appetizers planned for our Thanksgiving Day guests. Any ideas beyond cheese, cracker, and veggie trays? For dessert I usually just make pumpkin and apple pies. I would love to try something other than an apple pie and also think *something* in my kitchen needs to involve chocolate. What do you prepare?

Thanks! :)

CHocolate Fudge Pecan pie is my favorite.

My kids will always request a layer dessert if I ask them.

lst layer is a flour, butter and nuts crust.

2nd layer is cream cheese and cool whip.

3rd layer is pudding, using a little less milk.

top with more cool whip and a crushed candy bar like heath or Butterfinger.

Apetizers..We love cream cheese or borsin cheese, warmed and topped with a relish like harry and David ONion pepper relish. We found one at Costco that tastes the same and is so much cheaper.. We have also used cherry relish or whatever you like. Serve with Wheat thins, or crackers of your choice.

Hummus and pita chips

Ham, cream cheese and pickle thingies..

Notice I don't have names for my food, just thingy's..

I don't serve appetizers beyond drinks. I prefer to have people plenty hungry for the main show. As for dessert, we do pies. I make 2 apple, and two pumpkin, one pecan, and my SIL is making a chocolate cream pie. I don't know her recipe, but it is very rich. I was thinking of making a Shoo Fly pie, but that might be too many. :001_smile:

Jennie

For sweet, I love marshmallow creme and cream cheese whipped together, great with all fruit! For "spread" I love cut up bits of cucumbers, sliced green onions, and bits of radishes. I don't care for fresh onions of any kind or radishes at all....except for this recipe. It's great. You make it early and allow the flavors to mingle. You spread it on crispy bagel rounds from the bagel store...or those New York bagel chips...or something similar. It's yummy.....

One year, a friend of mine brought a tray of sliced apples (red & green) with a yummy cream cheese dip (mix a pack of cr cheese, with 1/3 c. brown sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla)

It was a huge hit as an appetizer!

Add toffee bits to that and you've got something downright heavenly!

Apetizers..We love cream cheese or borsin cheese, warmed and topped with a relish like harry and David ONion pepper relish. We found one at Costco that tastes the same and is so much cheaper.. We have also used cherry relish or whatever you like. Serve with Wheat thins, or crackers of your choice.

Hummus and pita chips

Thanks! I love the hummus and pita chip idea and the relish over cheese. :)

To whomever recommended stuffed mushrooms, I absolutely LOVE stuffed mushrooms, but suspect they will be too fussy for the day. Still, I'm drooling over the thought...

I'm still contemplating the desserts.