Menu

FLL vs BJU 4 for Language Arts

tdbates78

Hello! So I'm getting ready to place our curriculum for the upcoming school year, which we will start in a few months. My twins are currently in 3rd grade. We've been doing BJU 3 with good success. They are retaining what they are learning and it's fairly short and painless lessons. However we do not like the writing chapters so we skip them and do WWE instead. So basically I'm paying for half of the book. We did FLL 1 a few years ago and they liked it ok. Haven't done it since, and not with the workbooks. 

FLL is much less expensive than BJU, especially considering we only use half of it. I looked at some FLL workbook samples and I like what I see. Not sure if my girls would be in 3 or 4. Anyways, if you've done both how do they compare? Do you have a preference? We are a secular homeschooling family, btw, but I just ignore some of the religious components of BJU and it hasn't been a big deal. But we do like BJU and it's working so I'm not sure what to do at this point. 

Edited by tdbates78

I have used neither; I just have some thoughts. 🙂

FLL and BJUP have completely different styles of teaching and learning. FLL looks to me to be very teacher-intensive; if you are already doing WWS, which is also, IMHO, teacher-intensive,  do you want something else which is equally as teacher-intensive? Although I don't love BJUP, it isn't bad, and, as you say, your children are doing it with "good success." I vote for that. 🙂