Menu

Story of the World in Summer

So, we send our kiddo back to public school this year after homeschooling 4 years.   One thing I loved doing with him when we homeschooled was Story of the World.   We were part way through the Middle ages book (got up to the crusades), and I'd like to continue it in summer.    Anyone ever done story of the world in summer?   Any suggestions?      If you were doing a shortened version of Volume two, anything you would skip over?  I'd rather cover less and cover it well than try rush through it.   He has some camps and trips other things that we're doing, and we're going to do some math/spelling/etc. just to avoid summer slide, so it's not much time.   

Edited by goldenecho

We did book form read-aloud SOTW for a few years. Then I found the audiobook at our library.

Made things so much easier. Now we just listen to it in the car. The chapters are about as long as our typical car trips around town. 10 or so min, I think. I pause it a lot for discussion.

I do think he retained more when I was reading aloud, but with the audiobook, it's no big deal to just re-listen to the chapter.

As for what to skip... I've skipped chapters at times. If I recall correctly, it gets pretty deep in European history. When we were in book 2, I felt like it was more important to cover "the rest of the world" so ended up skipping some of the euro chapters. Especially since he was getting euro history from elsewhere at the time.