Menu

Fun general music/piano/violin resources

Sarah0000

I'm going to be taking over music education for my kids for the next six months or so until we resume formal lessons. I primarily plan to maintain skills level in violin and piano and focus on sight reading fluency. I have basic resources for that. What I'm looking for are fun extra stuff to do. Perhaps ear training rhythm exercises. Maybe even an introductory sight reading singing curriculum. Or a unit study that mixes skills with appreciation. Or a simple composition program. 

I already have These Amazing Musical Instruments and Can You Hear It. I've seen solfege videos online and random web games and such. I'm looking for something more fleshed out. Kids are 7 and 4 (and tag along toddler).

The Teach Piano Today blog has a lot of great printables and games for theory (they also have a piano games club where you can subscribe for $8 a month and get four printable games at different topics).  The piano book of the month from that site for March is a composition resource for primer book/1 level that is super cute. 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, SammySommers said:

Would five be too young to start learning the violin? We all play strings and my youngest is starting to take an interest and has announced that he's going to learn the violin, but I don't want to start too soon and put him off. He's 4 at the moment.

I'm not a pushy parent or anything like that, but I'd like to encourage him if he seems interested.

Does anybody have any experience in this area?

My kid started at 6  but had asked since he was 4.  It's very common to start Suzuki around 3, and the online program I use (Practice Monkeys) is geared toward 4-5yos in the first level.  It's very child appropriate.

4 hours ago, SammySommers said:

Would five be too young to start learning the violin? We all play strings and my youngest is starting to take an interest and has announced that he's going to learn the violin, but I don't want to start too soon and put him off. He's 4 at the moment.

I'm not a pushy parent or anything like that, but I'd like to encourage him if he seems interested.

Does anybody have any experience in this area?

My daughter (11) started violin at 6.5, fairly late by Suzuki standards. She begged for a year before I gave in.  We did a Kindermusik program for two years before starting Suzuki violin.  Within a couple of years she she caught up with peers who started at two or three years old.  At 11, she is still very enthusiastic about violin, loves playing solos and performing with her orchestra and string quartet.  I am not a musician, and my focus as a Suzuki parent has been on happy relationships with music and within the Suzuki triangle (child-parent-teacher.)  I would let the child take the lead in in this journey, but not push.  My favorite book on this topic is Helping Parents Practice by  Edmund Sprunger.

https://www.amazon.com/Helping-Parents-Practice-Making-Easier/dp/0976785439/  

Well ODS asked to just do piano so he's alternating his lesson book and picking songs to learn. Since he's pretty independent with that I'm just going to review staff reading and otherwise focus on music history. That will work out anyway for history as well since I want to do light school over the summer.