Menu

Oak Meadow's Current World History

On 3/8/2019 at 11:30 PM, Plagefille said:

We are currently using it. It is going well. I think that my daughter likes that it is reading, writing, and project based, instead of facts and test based. I like that it is very open ended and flexible.

Do you have any specific questions?

What does the grading system look like in the program? Are there suggested percentages or points for each assignment? I think my son will also like that it is not test based. 

What sources does she use for most of the reading?

Have there been topics that are difficult to find? 

20 hours ago, mom31257 said:

What does the grading system look like in the program? Are there suggested percentages or points for each assignment? I think my son will also like that it is not test based. 

What sources does she use for most of the reading?

Have there been topics that are difficult to find? 

There is no grading system suggested in the coursebook. I am not sure how they grade it if you take it through them. I am doing points for each assignment. I kind of based the points based on how much time and work each assignment takes. For example: comprehension questions are worth 10 points and activities and central questions are worth 30 points, etc. I also added map work to the course.

We are using A Little History of the World, and other resources we have around the house, like Human Odyssey and Kingfisher History, along with online  resources, like Crash Course videos, and history websites. We have not had issues finding info on the topics online.

We are only doing the first half of the course, spending more time on the topics. We are doing all the assignments which DD would probably not be able to do if we were doing it all full pace. She is a young 9th grader so I did not want to overwhelm her.

For the second half of the course I am looking for a book on modern history to be the main spine since she is almost done with A Little History of the World.

• Thanks 1