Menu

killgallon and CAP's W&R

They felt very different to me.

W&R utilizes a greater variety of types of exercises that feel very different from each other.... narration, copywork, dictation, copiousness, summary.  Killgallon was the same basic type of activity  .... here's a model of good writing, now play with it and create a work of your own following the patterns in this model.  ("Play with it" was done in a couple different ways, some of which could be done orally and not require writing.)

From what I've seen W&R uses old, classic texts (fables, King Arthur, 50 stories retold, etc) whereas Killgallon generally uses 20th century literature as models.

The W&R student book is consumable; the Killgallon is non-consumable.

W&R seemingly requires more creativity .... "Add on to the fable."  or "Write a paragraph that praises the character."  Whereas there are parts of Killgallon that a you can just "follow the formula you see in the model" .... Like the model, I want you to start with a dependent clause, then add 2 adjectives modifying the Subject Noun, an action verb, and then finish with a prepositional phrase.  So the student is writing/producing good sentences/paragraphs but the creativity is separated out from the process.  You could add it if you wanted, but this allows kids who "Don't know what to write about" an opportunity to practice writing good sentences without requiring an abundance of creativity.  

W&R has a teacher edition to help you guide the conversation.  Killgallon is written to the student.

• Like 3