Menu

Hands on science

countrymum

I am interested in doing hands on science with my 8 and 6 year olds next year. One loves to be read to but the other fidgets a lot. This is why I want something that isnt just read and or watch. We have been reading lots of animal and habitat books this year so i want somethibg other than that.

I have looked at and tried Berean Builders elementary but it seems too wordy or long or something for them...I am open fo modification ideas though. I own Science in the beginning. We have tried it 2x once when older was 7 and once when he was 6. He didnt really like it either time and younger just wiggled and fidgeted and didnt pay attention. Now older will sit engaged through long history chapter spine books though so maybe he'd do better with one of the history ones?..But what about younger??

I have also seen A Reason for Science. Has anyone used that?? Any thoughts about it?.

How about Bob Jones??

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I would like a Christian science program.

I don't remember what the newest editions of WTM are recommending, but back in the old days it just said to use topical books (Usborne, DK, Reader's Digest, etc.) that included little experiments. I've been doing that with my ds and it's been very nice. It sounds like you'd like to do some physics or chemistry. You might try your library and see what calls to you.                                             Kitchen Science Hardcover – July 1, 2001                                       Here's what I'm using, but I apologize for the price it's showing. Snoop around and find it or something similar that is cheaper. There's no way I paid that. 

I do like the BJU science btw. They keep updating it, so the versions I used were with my dd 10 years ago. I actually had my ds do a level online with them. The thing with the BJU science is you're really supposed to be doing the student worktext with it. So you're going to have some writing, spelling, etc. It will all be on grade level, but with my ds' SLDs it's not reality. But it's good, sure. With the 8 and 6, well that just depends on how they function. Some people would say to split the difference and combine, which you can. Some people would teach to the older and just use picture books for the younger. The BJU science in the early grades is (or used to be?) a 1/2 year course because their emphasis is still on learning to read.  See when it shifts to a full year. Like if you're asking when it gets fuller and steps up, that will be part of it. There's a shift from learning to read to reading to learn. The BJU science will cycle, hitting things again and again. I thought 4th and up were really nice, with it coming into its own around 5th or 6th. And there are lots of fun hands-on you can do with the topics too, like adding in Snap Circuits, etc. 

If you like the BJU science, it's very good with the videos. They'll throw in pdfs of the manual, student text, etc. It can work out pretty well. I'm not sure I would fiddle around with that for 2nd, just me. So easy to use a simpler spine and then do some breakout studies on creation science, etc. But roll with your gut there.

Have you read the Let's Read and Find Out series? Their stage 2 books might be plenty for your 6 yo. 

Edited by PeterPan

If you really want very hands on, consider ditching the curriculum altogether. Look at science kits that come with decent explanations, and doing self-designed science explorations. We use Thames and Kosmos science kits as our base. My daughter has done Candy Chemistry, a regular chemistry kit from them, Catapults and Crossbows, Generics and DNA, Crystal Growing, and a handful of others from them, and they’ve all been good. In addition to those, she has done a variety of engineering challenges of different types, planned garden space and grown plants, done a good bit of hiking, and been to local astronomy presentations. When she needs or wants more background information, we gather library books.

Science need not be systematic in elementary school. There is no curriculum out there that would otherwise be as hands-on as what we want.