Menu

If you don't use History Odyssey...?

Bay Lake Mom

Debating using History Odyssey or not.  Looking for alternatives and advice.

I'm jumping in to the Logic Stage with my soon to be 6th grade daughter.  We will be studying Medieval - Early Renaissance (400-1600).  I've noticed that a lot of people use History Odyssey. I've looked at the samples, and it looks awesome.  However, my daughter doesn't have any experience with outlines and note taking.  She will be learning those skills soon.  I've read that you should start History Odyssey Level 2 with Ancients so they can learn the skills.  Is this true? or will it be okay to use the "Middle Ages" book and let her learn as she goes?  She will not want another year of Ancients. 

I like the idea of having a guide to tell me what she needs to read and study every day.  I'm afraid if I just use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, I won't know what to do each day. 

I've also read that the HO guides can be overwhelming.  They require too much work from the child.  Just curious from folks who have been there, done that.  What has your experience been like?  Did you stick with HO, use an alternate guide, or just follow the guidance in "The Well Trained Mind?"