Menu

"Skills Profile" - Anyone familiar with this?

Jenny in Florida

I am strongly considering applying for a new role with my current employer. Part of the application requires me to complete what the website labels a "Skills Profile." It's just a table with five columns: Category, Skill, Experience, Years Used, Last Used. There does not seem to be a character limit on any of the fields, but the visible area of each field is only about 20 characters wide. 

I remember struggling with this last time I submitted an application, which I believe was when I jumped to my current, full-time role (or maybe was the time before -- I can't remember whether they made me do the full app that last time). What I think I finally did was to track down some kind of formal scale (I think it was this one from the National Institutes of Health) and use one of the columns to list my approximate level of skill. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have kept a copy of that, at least not here on my home computer.

I'm due back at work on Wednesday, which is when I need to let my current manager know I plan to apply for the other job. At that point, I can probably contact someone in HR and ask for some guidance regarding what they expect, but that's a long time to wait when I'm feeling anxious to get my application prepped and submitted. So I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has dealt with one of these things and, if so, what you think I need to enter in each of those fields?

4 hours ago, Katy said:

It's included as a chart in many resume templates these days, especially in tech and engineering fields.  I'd google "resume template skills" look at the images tab, and see which styles are appealing to you.

Well, the problem I'm having is that I don't have any choice of style. This is an online application with a fixed format and no instructions. I spent a fair amount of time with our friend Google before posting here, but couldn't find anything that looks like what I have to deal with on the website.

I have gone through the job description and the vacancy posting and highlighted all of the skills mentioned that I can claim to have. I plan to use that as a starting point for the skills to list, but I'm trying to figure out how to wrestle the information into the required format.

Specifically, I can't tease out the difference between "Experience" and "Years Used." I'm assuming that "Experience" is supposed to mean some kind of rating of my level of expertise? And then I need to come up with some way to categorize the skills I want to highlight.

For example, one of the required skills is proficiency with Microsoft Office. No problem -- I literally teach classes in the entire suite. So, I'm thinking I could start with something like:

Category                               Skill                                  Experience                           Years Used                                                   Last Used

Microsoft Office                    Word                                 Expert                                   10+                                                               Current
                                             Excel                                 Advanced                             10+                                                               Current
                                             PowerPoint                       Advanced                              8                                                                   Current
                                             Publisher                          Advanced                              10+                                                               Current

And so on.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Well, the problem I'm having is that I don't have any choice of style. This is an online application with a fixed format and no instructions. I spent a fair amount of time with our friend Google before posting here, but couldn't find anything that looks like what I have to deal with on the website.

I have gone through the job description and the vacancy posting and highlighted all of the skills mentioned that I can claim to have. I plan to use that as a starting point for the skills to list, but I'm trying to figure out how to wrestle the information into the required format.

Specifically, I can't tease out the difference between "Experience" and "Years Used." I'm assuming that "Experience" is supposed to mean some kind of rating of my level of expertise? And then I need to come up with some way to categorize the skills I want to highlight.

For example, one of the required skills is proficiency with Microsoft Office. No problem -- I literally teach classes in the entire suite. So, I'm thinking I could start with something like:

Category                               Skill                                  Experience                           Years Used                                                   Last Used

Microsoft Office                    Word                                 Expert                                   10+                                                               Current
                                             Excel                                 Advanced                             10+                                                               Current
                                             PowerPoint                       Advanced                              8                                                                   Current
                                             Publisher                          Advanced                              10+                                                               Current

And so on.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that's exactly what they want.

• Thanks 1