Menu

Big Girls and Self Defense

umsami

I need/want to take some self defense classes.  I want to learn some quick defense moves (and practice them), but I also may want to continue to learn more.    In my area, there's the typical martial arts, boxing gyms, etc.    Is there one type which may be better for plus-size people?  

My dh is a martial arts instructor and also teaches specifically self defense seminars. I am a plus size woman and have had no issues taking his self defense classes. I'm a very athletic plus size so very little is hard for me, however, there are many other less athletic plus size women who take the classes and him and his team are great with showing different ways to perform multiple tasks. For ex, if you can not get up from the ground without using your hands for support they teach how to do it in the best way to still be in a defensive position while maintaining your balance.

So, my advice is to ask specific questions before signing up to make sure they can accommodate your needs. Especially, since the level of expertise is going to vary wildy even within each category of training facility. Not all boxing gyms, martial arts studios, etc are run well so the more questions you ask the better idea you get about their expertise.

If you are near the Florida panhandle, PM me! I know a wonderful school.

Most schools will let you watch a class and try one out for free. I would look for a school with a few older students mixed in.

You might look into krav maga, if you found a school that felt comfortable to you. It gets right into the practical. 

My personal favorite is shotokan karate.